Ron

Triumph 5SW

After quite a wait, my 5SW timing cover is back from my engineer after having new cam bushes fitted. In the meantime I acquired a NOS unused 3S/5S/3HW timing cover which is now surplus to my requirements. It cost me £45 if anyone wants it (I also had a new quill fitted to it)  Ron

DSCF1061.jpg

DSCF1069.jpg

DSCF1070.jpg

The spare timing cover is now sold!

But despite my diagnoses and efforts, the engine clatter was just the same, so I pulled off the head and barrel, to reveal that the small end bush was loose and wobbling in the con-rod. I was told that the barrel and piston were NOS and it does look that way, with 'standard' bore and piston. Understandably the piston is scuffed now, so I'll be taking both the barrel and piston to my engineer for measuring and inspection. Hopefully with a new small end bush, a hone and some gentle filing to the scuff marks it can all be re-used........If not I'll have to track down an oversize piston🤔 Ron 

DSCF1071.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

It looks like the bracket that holds the field-stand spring clips has been ground off. So I've cut a new one from 4mm steel plate, ready to weld on tomorrow.

I've also done a trial fit of the original field-stand pivot clamp that I acquired a few months ago.  Ron  

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

Hi Kit.

I've got a couple of small end bushes being made and the bore has been measure and is a bit tight for the piston, so it's going to have a couple of  extra thou' honed out. I've also ordered a new set of rings from my piston guy and I've filed off the scuff marks. All in all.....Hopefully it will be like a Poodle with a new bow. Ron

Ron.with the field stand .do you have the spring clips that hold the leg in place of do you know where to get them.?

Jenkinov

As far as I know, the only guy who sells the correct clips is Peter Long' Cornucopia' In Germany. (I've bought them before for my other Triumphs). I've emailed Peter, but he's on a two month holiday in Australia and back for 1st December. I'll contact him again on his return.  I might have to buy two pairs anyway to meet his minimum purchase requirement. I'll keep you informed.   Ron.

DSCF0908.jpg

Are the clips the same as the Ariel W/NG type Ron ? If so maybe Draganfly ? Also, Peter Brown is currently looking at the field stand brackets and mounts for his own 5SW so it may be worth emailing him ?

No they're not the same as W/NG Steve. I already bought a pair for Peter Brown with my last ones from Peter Long.  I  also offered to get a field stand clamp made (copied from my original)  as a couple of other guys wanted one. But Peter rather let Terry and Drew (Metal Magic)  make one ........Now they want to borrow mine😄 😆  Ron

DSCF0989.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

Edited by Ron

Just to confirm. These are the Ariel W/NG spring clips.  Ron

WING 071.JPG

Edited by Ron