Triumph 5SW

Ron

After quite a wait, my 5SW timing cover is back from my engineer after having new cam bushes fitted. In the meantime I acquired a NOS unused 3S/5S/3HW timing cover which is now surplus to my requirements. It cost me £45 if anyone wants it (I also had a new quill fitted to it)  Ron

DSCF1061.jpg

DSCF1069.jpg

DSCF1070.jpg

The spare timing cover is now sold!

But despite my diagnoses and efforts, the engine clatter was just the same, so I pulled off the head and barrel, to reveal that the small end bush was loose and wobbling in the con-rod. I was told that the barrel and piston were NOS and it does look that way, with 'standard' bore and piston. Understandably the piston is scuffed now, so I'll be taking both the barrel and piston to my engineer for measuring and inspection. Hopefully with a new small end bush, a hone and some gentle filing to the scuff marks it can all be re-used........If not I'll have to track down an oversize piston🤔 Ron 

DSCF1071.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

It looks like the bracket that holds the field-stand spring clips has been ground off. So I've cut a new one from 4mm steel plate, ready to weld on tomorrow.

I've also done a trial fit of the original field-stand pivot clamp that I acquired a few months ago.  Ron  

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

Hi Kit.

I've got a couple of small end bushes being made and the bore has been measure and is a bit tight for the piston, so it's going to have a couple of  extra thou' honed out. I've also ordered a new set of rings from my piston guy and I've filed off the scuff marks. All in all.....Hopefully it will be like a Poodle with a new bow. Ron

As far as I know, the only guy who sells the correct clips is Peter Long' Cornucopia' In Germany. (I've bought them before for my other Triumphs). I've emailed Peter, but he's on a two month holiday in Australia and back for 1st December. I'll contact him again on his return.  I might have to buy two pairs anyway to meet his minimum purchase requirement. I'll keep you informed.   Ron.

DSCF0908.jpg

No they're not the same as W/NG Steve. I already bought a pair for Peter Brown with my last ones from Peter Long.  I  also offered to get a field stand clamp made (copied from my original)  as a couple of other guys wanted one. But Peter rather let Terry and Drew (Metal Magic)  make one ........Now they want to borrow mine😄 😆  Ron

DSCF0989.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

Edited by Ron

• 2 weeks later...

While I've been waiting for the Chief parts to arrive, I've renewed the small end bush, fitted the cleaned up piston with its new rings and  put the freshly honed barrel on. I had to get a special hardened washer made for the valve lifter as the soft mild steel one fitted was already showing signs of distress. I also fitted a spare rebuilt mag which is not timed up yet.

The steering felt a bit notchy so I decided to replace the cup and cone bearings. Good job I did strip the forks, as the spindles were full of sand blasting grit. I managed to clean it all up with white spirit a teapot spout brush and an air line, polished up the spindles and all greased and adjusted now.

Back to the Indian now though.  Ron 

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1117.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted the  new rear tyre and tube and the other few parts I was waiting for are here now. This is where I've got to so far. The petrol tank is the last item to prepare and spray..  Still trying to get hold of Peter Long for the field stand clips.......think I might have to try a phone call to Germany?

I've fitted an original MT110 rear lamp with a single filament 21W bulb which works a treat with a £2.50 .8 ohm resistor from Honk Kong  fitted in the tail lamp line. Which gives about a 8-10W glow to the tail lamp and the full 21W when the brake pedal is depressed......Wish I'd used this trick years ago!! Ron.

DSCF1132.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ron, the 5SW looks great. Your work spurred me into finishing my WD/CO. Have you replated the handlebar controls? If so who did you use? I’ve struggled to find someone who can recreate that wartime finish.

Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...

I've more or less finished the 5SW and it started first kick this morning and runs fine with no rattles so far. I have an issue with a weeping petrol balance pipe under the tank. After draining the fuel and removing it, I can see that one of the nipples has been replaced with one that has a different shaped cone than the other side, and is hopefully the culprit. I've just re-solder a correct nipple on and will re-fit tomorrow.

New markings are " Lakota Nation" North Dakota Division.😄😉   Ron

DSCF1166.jpg