Defender springs

61KF92

Question

Hi, I have a simple Land Rover question, is it me or do Army Defenders appear to lean slightly forward - ie: the rear wheel arches appear slightly higher than the fronts? Or just an illusion? My 1986 ex Army 90 needs new coil springs (and appears to lean forward like others) so do I buy civvie ones (I know all the colour codes) or is there an Army variant for the front and/or rear?  The springs are corroded and were an advisory at the last MOT. All else was good on my 32,000km (MOD verified!) vehicle which had a short but varied career in the 80's/90's with the Royal Green Jackets, Anglian, and Scots Guards regiments (probably in Celle Germany & then Northern Ireland) before being occasionally driven around OPTAG in Kent for at least a decade doing only about 1,000 miles each year. I only do around 2000k a year in it (much off road) so I'll probably never need another Land Rover before I give up driving due to old age, or they stop selling Diesel - whichever happens first!    

Thanks for viewing

Rob - Secretary for CCROC (Cheltenham & Cotswold Rover Owners Club) 

See us and our Land Rovers at www.facebook.com/ccroc and www.ccroc.club

38239070_1927510673955497_7930439168243531776_n.jpg

2 answers to this question

If you check your VIN plate axle loadings , and then compare it to a early civvy Handbook / User manual - then this should show you have 'high duty' suspension rather than standard suspension , thus giving a extra  150 kg (330 lb)  in the tub & this is two additional persons.  You are never going to be operating on/off road anywhere near maximum payload.  If I remember correctly , only the rear springs are "High Duty"  , the front springs  are standard (diesel) - it is this that gives you the military stance - you don't have a load strut pumping.   Sometime I will have to consider the option and would be going for standards F&R , but my use in the main is highway and unladen.  You are 100% offroad BUT I doubt if you are maximum payload, the MOD choice would have been for max. payload + (overload situation & towing a widetrack overladen out of balance).  I like suspension other than in the tyre side-walls.

btw.   I have 90    57KG59  , the history is just  TYPHOON FALKLANDS , so when I get around to it the excuse for roundal is more important than springs.

In leafer days HD springs (only on rear)  =  Heavy Duty , for some reason coilers were High Duty..

Edited by ruxy
spelin