Sherman air filter

TankNick

What on earth happened to the left hand one ? That is pretty comprehensively destroyed.

Sherman ones are different depending on the engine instalation but the ones in the photo are not any kind of Sherman ones. I do not have any M18 books so can't look them up but air cleaners for radial engined Shermans (M4 & M4A1 and their derivatives) come with either a round or a square body (equivalent to the lower half of the ones in the photo) and a round oil pan that clamps up to the underside. Unlike the ones in the photo the mounting brackets are separate clamps that go all the way round the body of the air cleaner, not welded directly to it and there are two air pipe connections, inlet near the top and out below that, both about 4" diameter. The ones in the photo have louvres that let in the air to be filtered, the Sherman ones have a sloping top and no louvres. The round or square Sherman ones are mearly different manufacturers. Each factory would tend to use one type at any given time but they were both used from early on and are fully interchangeable.

As I said I can't say if the ones in the photo are M18 (I guess the M18 in the background is a hint !) but they are not Sherman of any kind. It might help you to know that basicly similar air cleaners were used on large construction plant post war as they were a fairly standard commercial item.

David

These are the correct m-18 air cleaners.  I am having a hard time finding a replacement m-18 and am considering using a Sherman filter to at least keep it era correct till I come across the correct filter.  The brackets would be easy to make a Sherman filter fit up.  The filter was damaged from an over pressured breech.  Radios look about the same.

• 1 month later...