Saladin CES drawings

dgrev

Hello

Would anyone have the CES sketches and item list for the Saladin
please that they can email to me?

My manual is Mk2 User Manual 12232 1958 and says that info will be included in a later edition...... grrrrr.

The info I am after would be in either the 1963 or 1974 updated version, however the title heading will

still show 1958 with the update info under that in small print.

I tried emailing Clive Elliot but the email address I have for him delivered a hard bounce. :-(

Regards
Doug

dgrev@iinet.net.au

Edited by dgrev
Extra info

Lizzie

Sorry but no. Those are the external stowage diagrams. The manual shows both those and the internal stowage diagrams and specifically states they are not to be used for CES purposes as they only show a few of the items.

Regards

Doug

Doug

Freeserve shut down their email service in May last year, which is why you got a bounce - nothing personal!

I too have that edition of UHB & the one that preceded it. As you know there is quite a good CES type of list incorporating some TOTE in Chapter 3, which I think is the best you will get as I can find no trace of a stand alone CES.

Looking in my Catalogue of Army Publications AC No.12123 Part I 1974, it lists the UHB, as you say as AC No.12232 as the 1958 edition but with Amendments 1 to 9 incorporated. My 1958 original incorporates Amendments 1 to 4 up to 13/7/60.  So presumably there would have been any CES updates in there.

CES are listed in AC No.12123 Part V. The earliest edition I have is 1984 & there is no CES listed for Saladin, you might think there wouldn't be by then but the CES for Daimler Armoured Car & Centurion are still listed then.

Going back to AC No.12123 Part I 1974 under Vehicle Stowage Diagrams it lists Saladin as AC No.12856. So that is the one to look for, so it suggests the UHB would not have any diagrams as such & at best an updated CES as it looks as if no stand alone CES was published.

Unfortunately I don't have 12856 the nearest I have is 12854.

While we are at it. NOS

New 

Old 

Stock

ie, something was "new" (when it was made) but is now old, but that hasn't been used. So lets says you come across a Scarf mount for a Brisfit BE2 WW1 fighter, never issued, no wear. So it is new in the sense that it hasn't been used. But if made in 1915 then you can't really say it is new. Hence why "NOS" rather than "New".

Don't laugh at the scenario. I recall the story that in either the 1970s or 1980s the Shuttleworth trust were having a torrid (pun) time trying to recreate the nose cowl for either a Sopwith Scout or Camel. Apparently it was on those lost art techniques to do so. An appeal for help to the RAF resulted in the supply of an NOS

item. Shuttleworth had been thinking more along the lines of a project to torment the aero apprentices.

You just never know what is lurking in dark corners.......

Edited by dgrev

3 minutes ago, dgrev said:

While we are at it. NOS

New 

Old 

Stock

ie, something "new" (when it was made) but is now old, but that hasn't been used. So lets says you come across a Scarf mount for a Brisfit BE2 WW1 fighter, never issued, no wear. So it is new in the sense that it hasn't been used. But if made in 1915 then you can't really say it is new. Hence why "NOS" rather than "New".

Unissued old stock might be a better term.

1 hour ago, dgrev said:

Please explain Clive?

Essentially a sort of forerunner of CES (of its various forms), which is why my Saladin UHB makes no reference to CES. Then of course there are things like FAMTO & ETS that were also casualties.

Scan0175.jpg

Scan0177.jpg

1 hour ago, dgrev said:

Does anyone have 12856 please?

In case you are wondering about 12854, I'm afraid it has no relationship to your quest being the Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores Section W6. Cinematographic, Map Reproduction & Photographic Equipments. July.1960 :(

Richard I think he needs them in a hurry for tomorrow. The trouble is not sure which way the earth is currently spinning, so is his tomorrow the same as ours or has it already started?

Doug I'm not sure if my emails did get through as the internet connection is variable here, but I've sent photos of pages 111-122 that don't appear in your copy. Hope they a) arrive b) are of some use.