L60 40mm QF Spare Barrel Box

Hi all,

I have just acquired a spare barrel box for a 40mm Bofors gun. (No spare barrel though just the box) and it weighs a ton !!!😳

The box is all steel construction with a wooden interior, metal handles and 2 x data plates but with no date or broad arrow. I have attached some pics of the box and data plate but unfortunately they will only upload upside down🤔

Can any one kindly tell me if this Spare barrel box is correct for British light anti aircraft units. I wish to stow it on my 1944 F60 LAAT.

I have only seen British and Commonwealth Spare barrel boxes in black and white photographs and they appear to be all wooded construction with rope handles.

Either way, once tidied up it will look the part with my light anti aircraft diarahma.

Any further info will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

attachment.php?attachmentid=125815&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125816&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125817&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125818&stc=1

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

No the bits were items I have had previously. Good idea though!

Ive looked all over the box, inside and outside and can't find a date,manufacturer or broad arrow anywhere ..... and there is very little info on the net about spare boxes.

Thanks for your reply 😀

I think it's likely well post war. Was the L60 referred to as such before the L70 came into service? I always thought the wartime boxes were wooden.

Hi Adrian,

Yes the L60 was pre L70 I believe..... thanks for your reply 👍🏻

What I meant was, was the Bofors known as 40mm L/60 before the L/70 entered service, I'm not sure it was. Hence being marked L/60 indicates it was to differentiate between it and the longer L/70 barrel.

Having just checked all my manuals which date from 1941 to 1947, it is only listed as Ordnance, Q.F. 40mm. I suspect it only became known as L/60 in British service when L/70 came in during 1953.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

What I meant was, was the Bofors known as 40mm L/60 before the L/70 entered service, I'm not sure it was. Hence being marked L/60 indicates it was to differentiate between it and the longer L/70 barrel.

Having just checked all my manuals which date from 1941 to 1947, it is only listed as Ordnance, Q.F. 40mm. I suspect it only became known as L/60 in British service when L/70 came in during 1953.

I'm with you now👍🏻 Good work Adrian! That's interesting and makes sense.

As there are no broad arrow marks I didn't know weather it would be Royal Navel type ?

I cant believe how heavy the empty box weighs ! I feel sorry for the chaps that had to cart it about with a live barrel inside.

• 1 year later...

Hi Poppy: I have a 1943 LAAT and a Canadian made QF, 40mm Bofors.  I have been searching for detailedphotos of the rack for the spare barrel box.  Any help you can provide would be deeply appreciated.   I'll likely have to make a wood spare barrel box as well.  All the examples in Canada sort of rotted away!

• 3 years later...