wolf heated screens ?

joester

Hi i have a question that i hope hasnt been covered here before

The heated windscreen for a landrover xD in my parts book is listed as part number RRC7310

and i have a relevant wolf electrical diagram ( i acquired ) that shows this connected via a relay and switch etc to the pair of 12v batteries

my question is are the RRC7310 screens able to handle 24v ?

Its only running off a 15A fuse so i cant see it being 12 v off a dropper

has anyone got a genuine winterised wolf that they can measure the voltage at the screen when its running

many thanks

2320-D-128-721 is the military designation of the commercial parts list

2320-D-128-711 is the military parts list which gives RRC8700

I don't have 721 but I have the Land Rover Defender xD catalogue STC9038FF & this also gives RRC8700

Do you want the heated windscreen circuit diagram fig 31 of 2320-D-128-302? I can email it or is that what you have already? I have the complete 302 (with all diagrams).

It seems to receive the full 24v supply, which is a worry I can understand.

Curiously this RRC7310 has the DMC of 7RU rather than 7XDW. This suggests it was a pre-existing item for non-Wolf Defenders, I wasn't aware that any of them having a 24v automotive system that would have had such a screen.

hiya Clive

yeah i have fig 31 diagram of the circuit thanks ,

yeah it definitely shows 24v to the screen doesnt it, nice touch the link to the alternator so that the engine has to be running too, i like that .

i looked up the td5 diagrams and they have timer relays and such and alot bigger fuses ( as they would lower volts and all that )

Thats kinda why i hoped someone could shove a volt meter on their screen n see what was going on i wonder if it is just the same screen and they just risk it.

do you want a copy of the more recent parts list mines 3rd edition ? i think i found it on a gov web page.

Joe further to our PMs I'll post this here so anyone watching might have ideas on it as well. There seem to be 2 & 3 terminal versions of RRC7310. In this thread there is reference to the 3-terminal version being the military one.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic33707.html

I just wonder whether the middle terminal is the junction of the two main elements? So that 24v is fed into each end of the elements (in series) but in a 12v set up the the end terminals are joined together & fed with one supply & the over to the middle terminal so that the elements are in parallel?

• 10 months later...

Clive

Just come across this thread and can answer your queries. RRC7310 is a 3 terminal screen and was indeed used on pre Wolf 12v military models and the Genuine Parts ones are made by Pilkington. Pattern part ones on the same part number can be really poorly made. On 12v vehicles the centre terminal is normally the power feed and the outer ones are earth terminals. On Wolf it is wired differently and the centre terminal is not used. You just use the outer terminals as power and earth and insulate the centre terminal. I found out the hard way that if you use all three terminals on a Wolf then you literally melt 40amp fuses, the screen goes as fuzzy a hell to look through and everything gets really hot. 

Nick

• Up 1