Ox24

johnwardle

Question

Does anyone know what OX24 is used for, or its civilian equivalent? I keep finding unopened 1 litre tins of it lying around in the workshop, and can't find out what it is used for. I've looked on Clive's list of Military Oils & Lubricants and can't find it listed.

6 answers to this question

Does anyone know what OX24 is used for, or its civilian equivalent? I keep finding unopened 1 litre tins of it lying around in the workshop, and can't find out what it is used for. I've looked on Clive's list of Military Oils & Lubricants and can't find it listed.

John,

I have DEFSTAN books for 1963 and 1991 and can find no OX-24, maybe details off the can will help, inc a NSN. Sure it is not PX-24 ?

John I had thought about that, but at the time there was an enormous number of products that I had to leave out, otherwise it would have just been a rehash of Issues of Def Stan 01-5.

That page was from the current one, I have most of them including Issue 1 also the Defence Guide DG-12 series that predated Def Stans. There is so much that has to be left out. But might be worth including any products that people flag up as being of interest.

OX24 is used for Light Weapons and is used on the SA80 series and the GPMG as Weapon Guard or Weapon Guard 24 and made by Rocol. OX36 is for heavy weapons and is known as Weapon Guard 36 although we actually use PX24 for canon as it's cheaper. We also have PX32 which is waxoil and has many uses if you know what I mean!