Towing Trailers

Surveyor

Question

Not sure why I thought of this, I have been watching "outback truckers", in the United Kingdom what are the rules on number of trailers allowed to be towed, I have seen the fair ground lorries and they seem to tow two if you include the articulated trailer

5 answers to this question

Not sure why I thought of this, I have been watching "outback truckers", in the United Kingdom what are the rules on number of trailers allowed to be towed, I have seen the fair ground lorries and they seem to tow two if you include the articulated trailer

I the uk you can only tow one trailer at a time you can only tow more than one at a time if you are Licence as a showman i.e fair ground or circus you have to apply for this and there are certain restrictions.

I the uk you can only tow one trailer at a time you can only tow more than one at a time if you are Licence as a showman i.e fair ground or circus you have to apply for this and there are certain restrictions.

Thought as much, but wanted to check with those more knowledgeable than me

That's how I understood it too but at a show 2 years ago there was a guy with a Quad, limber plus gun & he said as the Limber is the braked trailer then its only classed as one trailer (or something like that) is he correct ?

That's how I understood it too but at a show 2 years ago there was a guy with a Quad, limber plus gun & he said as the Limber is the braked trailer then its only classed as one trailer (or something like that) is he correct ?
not sure about that I know about it in a commercial field as i am a transport manager I would think he can do it under historic tax as long as its not hire and reward and any how a Quad would only do 20mph

It's a bit of a grey area to be honest , especially since DVLA lumped many previously separate classes into the 'special vehicles' class , not to be confused with special types which is a very different class !

showman's vehicles also now come under the special vehicles category along with certain steam vehicles.

Two trailers are permitted under this class , but limitations on length and vehicle speed are imposed.

My advice to anyone looking to register a rigid heavy truck not in the historic category for hobby use is go for the special category , road tax is the same as private HGV , but the limitations set down are less stringent.