Triumph 3HW Handle Bar Controls

Andy3HW

9There is a triumph 3hw manual and parts manual for which may help you..you can download electronic copies for free at http://www.pdfmotomanual.comI just downloaded them and the 3hw manual shows the handlebar layout and part numbers which I believe are duplicated in the parts book. Brand names are detailed in the parts list ..I.e amal carbs..Lucas..but the handlebar controls have no brand listed..

I will check my 3sw

Jenkinov

Thanks for the information Jenkinov. I have the manuals that show all the parts in diagrams except for the frame, although the parts are listed. I am struggling to figure what parts are used, for example, for the rear and front brake rod assembly - a diagram showing part numbers would be so useful. Also information on thread sizes especially for the handlebar clamps (which seem to be excepting a 5/16in dia bolt with a metric thread) and what size is the final drive chain.

Regards, Andy

Andy what contract is your bike from? From memory the last three contracts of 3HW's were fitted with "standardised" handlebar and controls. So the original 1" Triumph bars were replaced with M20 type 7/8" bars and Amal controls. I have the illustrated parts list for these bikes but it still shows the same illustration as the earlier bikes, with the pivot type clamps to the air/mag levers, which is not correct for the later bikes. The valve lift lever is also shown in a strange place, but I guess it's just for display purposes. Ron

PS most of the fixings will be BSC (26 tpi cycle thread) Course Whitworth threads into ally etc. You can buy cheap UK made zinc plated fixings here:- http://www.nookysnuts.com/

Scan-150611-0001.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron, the frame date is June 1944 and it has the 7/8 inch handlebars so I presume it is one of the last three contracts you mention. Nookysnuts have proved very useful is supplying the BSC 26TPI nuts and bolts.

I am having trouble establishing what the correct threads are for the handlebar clamps. The bolts used match a metric coarse thread with a 1.25 pitch so I am wondering if I can run through a 5/16 BSW tap if indeed that is the original correct thread used.

Do you happen to know the size of drive chain?

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

OK Andy, it's a while since I worked on a Triumph, but I now have a funny feeling that the handlebar clamps have a BSF thread. They won't be Whitworth, so don't tap anything through till you're sure. I collected this complete set of 1" levers in readiness for restoring my 3HW, before I realised it had 7/8" bars. So I had to start all over again. The air and mag levers are the standard Amal type with a saddle clamp and two screws.

I have noted the chain spec down as:- Rear 5/8" x 3/8" x 90 links. Primary 1/2" x 5/16" x 74 links. One of the most knowledgeable and nicest person to buy chains from is Jane at http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/ Ron

3HW 064.jpg

Hi Ron, thanks again for your help and information. Much appreciated. Your collection of handlebar controls is exactly what I am looking for, right design and non chromed appearance, but of course in 7/8 size.

I have noticed that they hold motorcycle auto-jumbles at kempton Park throughout the year and I am wondering whether they are a good source of spares for my project - certainly a good source for contacts I would imagine. So just contemplating undertaking the trip from Scotland back to my roots for a visit.

Regards

Andy

Andy the air/mag levers I showed are not quite right for you as they have the pivot clamps and not the standardised saddle clamps.

I visit the Kempton and Shepton jumbles on a regular basis and can advice that you are only likely to pick up levers in dribs and drabs over several visits........Unless you are luckier than most of us. But feel free if you like driving on the M1 and M25.

There is a guy in Cairo called Hussein who has lots of lever parts. He's a bit difficult to deal with as they don't have paypal in Egypt yet. But I can vouch for him. Mention my name if you want. sl_hussein@yahoo.com

Ron Pier