CUCV M1008...totally out of my depth here...HELP!!

LadyLuck

1985 M1008...I tried and I failed.

Love this truck but it's finally beaten me. It needs some routine maintenance and I can't do it or find someone who knows what to do. I need either...A. find expert help, or B. sell her on to a good home and to someone who understands her.

Can anyone give any sort of advice? At my wit's end :embarrassed:

What's wrong with it? It's American so can't be that complicated.

You would think so!

damn batteries...one's dead, then the other one! Don't know what's happening. Engines turning over fast enough but one battery is draining.

No ones been able to get to the bottom of it yet.

And I'm losing the will to live!!

Presuming that both batteries are connected in series then it would appear you have a battery problem.

You need to specify if it starts or not. Even then because a vehicle starts does not mean that the batteries or charging system are performing as they should, as some time after it may either not turn over or turns over sluggishly.

And batteries at the end of their life do "drain" as you put it or simply do not hold their charge owing to sulphation of the plates (lead acid types), caused by age and failure to keep a battery charged. A common problem in old vehicles.

Some gel batteries can be even worse, having a good terminal no load voltage, but zero or near zero when a load is applied.

Diana

You would think so!

damn batteries...one's dead, then the other one! Don't know what's happening. Engines turning over fast enough but one battery is draining.

No ones been able to get to the bottom of it yet.

And I'm losing the will to live!!

Presuming that both batteries are connected in series then it would appear you have a battery problem.

You need to specify if it starts or not. Even then because a vehicle starts does not mean that the batteries or charging system are performing as they should, as some time after it may either not turn over or turns over sluggishly.

And batteries at the end of their life do "drain" as you put it or simply do not hold their charge owing to sulphation of the plates (lead acid types), caused by age and failure to keep a battery charged. A common problem in old vehicles.

Some gel batteries can be even worse, having a good terminal no load voltage, but zero or near zero when a load is applied.

Diana

Thanks for your reply, and advice.

I think the batteries are connected up wrong but I'm not sure. Got 2 new batteries, one was dead the very next day!!

What on earth could cause this?

Don't know if I've got the right batteries, or if they are connected correctly, and I've got no idea myself and don't know anyone who's got any ideas...that's why I'm stuck!

Did you charge the batteries?

Depending on where you got them, the quality and how they were kept they may not be charged. If you replaced like for like then and the original were fitted correctly then even if new they may still be discharged.

Diana

Thanks for your reply, and advice.

I think the batteries are connected up wrong but I'm not sure. Got 2 new batteries, one was dead the very next day!!

What on earth could cause this?

Don't know if I've got the right batteries, or if they are connected correctly, and I've got no idea myself and don't know anyone who's got any ideas...that's why I'm stuck!

Post some photos of the batteries installed in the vehicle. Have you anything else connected to the one which goes flat? 12v phone charger, radio, lights etc?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

Nothing else is connected to them, as far as I know...nothing obvious anyway. I'll post some pics of the batteries installed ASAP.

Did you charge the batteries?

Depending on where you got them, the quality and how they were kept they may not be charged. If you replaced like for like then and the original were fitted correctly then even if new they may still be discharged.

Diana

the batteries were both tested and all good and the next day, one was dead. no idea why.

Didn't they have an issue with glow plugs staying live and flattening batteries? Try disconnecting the relay to them!

Yes this could be the problem. I have no idea how to disconnect the relay though. I'm a bit nervous of anything to do with batteries and electrical stuff! I need step by step instructions I'm afraid :undecided:

As with other military vehicles, the CUCV's used a 24-volt electrical system. It was actually a hybrid 12/24-volt system that used 24-volts under the hood, complete with dual 100 amp alternators, the mandatory NATO slave receptacle for jump starting any NATO vehicle, and hookups for military radios.[6] The rest of the truck was 12-volt.

Explains why 1 battery maybe dead as opposed to two.

Diana

Yes this could be the problem. I have no idea how to disconnect the relay though. I'm a bit nervous of anything to do with batteries and electrical stuff! I need step by step instructions I'm afraid :undecided:

As with other military vehicles, the CUCV's used a 24-volt electrical system. It was actually a hybrid 12/24-volt system that used 24-volts under the hood, complete with dual 100 amp alternators, the mandatory NATO slave receptacle for jump starting any NATO vehicle, and hookups for military radios.[6] The rest of the truck was 12-volt.

Explains why 1 battery maybe dead as opposed to two.

Diana

Yeah I guess so! I got a battery isolator switch today. I'm going to charge both batteries, fit the switch and at least they cant drain whilst not in use.

Ahh shame. We are in Cumbria...........

Ah! that is a shame:-(

My biggest problem is finding a knowledgeable person that can help me fix my truck! If I could solve that problem I wouldn't have the other problems.

You'd think it wouldn't be so hard!

• 1 month later...
1985 M1008...I tried and I failed.

Love this truck but it's finally beaten me. It needs some routine maintenance and I can't do it or find someone who knows what to do. I need either...A. find expert help, or B. sell her on to a good home and to someone who understands her.

Can anyone give any sort of advice? At my wit's end :embarrassed:

hi there its a bit late what do you need help with i have a 1982 m1008

• 2 weeks later...