Auction of 30 years of collecting military vehicles

johnwardle

John thank you for those. Bit of a relief that there weren't so many - less of a temptation :D

Relatively unusual to see the roof hatch mod, I don't think I have seen one in preservation.

This must be very very early 1970s as it is very obviously still a Mk 1

App0171a.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99107[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99108[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99109[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99110[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99111[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99112[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99113[/ATTACH]Coming up at end of Feb/ beginning of March in Wiltshire auction of some very rare Military Vehicles, including a USMC International 1 1/2 ton, 1 of only 2 known, A unique Alvis Runway Surface Friction Tester, 2 Half Sized AEC Matadors, hard & soft cab Diamond T 981s Rogers Trailer, Scamell Explorer with Meadow petrol engine, very low mileage AEC Matador, 5.5inch gun, FH70 Howitzer, Foden FH70 Limber, Humber Pigs, Saracens, various Land Rovers including Piglets. More details to follow when the auction date is confirmed.

Photos taken this afternoon, the quality isn't great as everything is crammed in very tight.

John

John what you say makes far more sense than this curious pen entry in the Chilwell ledger of the FV1600 Series.

Skyddsvakt, Sweden crop up quite a bit in the ledger. I find hard to belief that any of the Humbers really went to Sweden. I wonder if they were some intermediary agent for ministry sales. Another common entry is St Christopher House, which is an MOD outlet.

I notice that the rear registration plate has been painted over. It strikes me that it might be to obliterate its original service identity because it was given a MS (Ministry Sales) registration that was crudely marked on the vehicle. Was the front registration painted over or removed? I wonder were there any daubing like this below?

75 MS 179a.jpg

John what you say makes far more sense than this curious pen entry in the Chilwell ledger of the FV1600 Series.

Skyddsvakt, Sweden crop up quite a bit in the ledger. I find hard to belief that any of the Humbers really went to Sweden. I wonder if they were some intermediary agent for ministry sales. Another common entry is St Christopher House, which is an MOD outlet.

I notice that the rear registration plate has been painted over. It strikes me that it might be to obliterate its original service identity because it was given a MS (Ministry Sales) registration that was crudely marked on the vehicle. Was the front registration painted over or removed? I wonder were there any daubing like this below?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99114[/ATTACH][/quote

I couldn't see anything in the way of registration on the front, as the in service photo you posted showed Paras, could Skyddsvakt Sweden be some sort of cover for covert use? Although it would be difficult to be covert in a Humber Pig.

I don't think so John the actually entry reads:

S/O SKYDDSVAKT - SWEDEN 15/9/94

They pop up several times, but what their role was in the disposals I have no idea.

This is getting curiouser & curiouser, I Googled Skyddsvakt, there is a photo of a Pig in images, but it was posted by yourself, why would a security company be buying Pigs in 1994, other than the one used at Glastonbury festival?

You did better than me John, I googled them earlier for images but didn't find anything significant.

That picture you found then was probably in relation to a thread on here because Skyddsvakt have cropped up before. I searched on here for Skyddsvakt in any post by me but it came up with nil. I would be interested to find that post again although the thread is probably the very long Pig thread in the British Vehicles section.

You did better than me John, I googled them earlier for images but didn't find anything significant.

That picture you found then was probably in relation to a thread on here because Skyddsvakt have cropped up before. I searched on here for Skyddsvakt in any post by me but it came up with nil. I would be interested to find that post again although the thread is probably the very long Pig thread in the British Vehicles section.

Clive,

Is this the one?

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7062-Humber-PIG-Pictures/page6

Any pics of the Saracen ?

I'm sorry, but I couldn't get near them to take any photos, there is a large pile of scrap Land Rover body panels in the way. When we get them out of the way I'll post more photos, it could be some time before we get the scrap cleared.

The 5.5 howitzer would make a nice display on the front garden of my new house, not sure how tha new neighbours would take to it though!

Did you notice that the barrel is poking through the hedge, towards the new housing development that will be taking over the yard?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99239[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99240[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99241[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99243[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99244[/ATTACH]

Any chance of a couple of pictures of the half and full sized Matadors please?

I managed to get some photos today, as you can see there wasn't a lot of room round the full sized Matador, it is partially restored, the cab has been re-skinned with new timber frame where necessary, the body sides are on the reader body. This is a R.A.F searchlight generator version whets the upper and lower sides open horizontally to allow airflow to the generator.

I could only get to 1 of the half sized Matadors, the other (R.A.F.) one is in a friends garage and he is out of the country. The bike in front & Land-Rover wheels give an indication of size. The drivers seat is in the rear body on the right hand side.

Edited by johnwardle
Photos added

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99239[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99240[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99241[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99243[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99244[/ATTACH]

I managed to get some photos today, as you can see there wasn't a lot of room round the full sized Matador, it is partially restored, the cab has been re-skinned with new timber frame where necessary, the body sides are on the reader body. This is a R.A.F searchlight generator version whets the upper and lower sides open horizontally to allow airflow to the generator.

I could only get to 1 of the half sized Matadors, the other (R.A.F.) one is in a friends garage and he is out of the country. The bike in front & Land-Rover wheels give an indication of size. The drivers seat is in the rear body on the right hand side.

See above

The mini-Matador, looks like it was one those that Duxford had built to tow the passenger trailers around the museum area. Two were sold off to some acquaintances who were involved with the REME Historic Vehicle Collection. Think they had a Mini engine and gearbox and Vauxhall axle if memory serves me.

The mini-Matador, looks like it was one those that Duxford had built to tow the passenger trailers around the museum area. Two were sold off to some acquaintances who were involved with the REME Historic Vehicle Collection. Think they had a Mini engine and gearbox and Vauxhall axle if memory serves me.

Yes it is Richard, they were built for Duxford by Lion Cars who also built half sized buses. It has Mini engine & gearbox mounted longitudinally driving Bedford HA van axles, the front axle pivots on the dif, no Ackerman steering!