Saracen Brake Lights

Starfire

Hi All,

I've got a problem with the brake lights on my Saracen, they're staying on, so I assume that the switch needs a clean or replacement. Does anyone know where it is, how to get at it and/or possibly has some photos? I'm guessing that it's near the pedal somewhere and is mechanically operated?

Cheers,

Terry

Terry assuming your EMEI(AUST) would have mirrored the EMER then it is hydraulic.

App0143.jpg

It looks very similar to the switch used on the Humber servo. Unfortunately my facility to link an FV to NSN is down at the moment. But the Humber ones are available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-vehicle-pressure-switch-FV-260898-/360581767845?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item53f45922a5

Thanks Clive,

Mine is actually British (ex. Hong Kong). The Australians only ever used the Mk. 2.

From the picture, that looks like the oil cooler at the top of the engine bay?

Cheers,

Terry

Terry,

The picture is of the front brake pressure test point and brake light switch, located just in front of the left hand air cleaner.

I don't know my way around a Saracen Terry but it looks like an oil cooler. I suppose follow the brake pipes from the master cylinder.

Something I've just notice there are two types of switch.

LV6/MT4/5930-99-804-9490 for OM13 fluid

LV6/MT4/LU/31724(E) for OF24 fluid

• 1 year later...

I should probably update this one; replacing the switch worked a treat... for about 12 months, before it failed again. Hopefully the new one will last longer. The original one used screw terminals, but I was unable to find one locally with those, so I switched to spade terminals and crimped connectors onto the wires, which works, but are slightly longer than the original setup, so it's a bit harder to refit the rubber boot.

Cheers,

Terry

I should probably update this one; replacing the switch worked a treat... for about 12 months, before it failed again. Hopefully the new one will last longer. The original one used screw terminals, but I was unable to find one locally with those, so I switched to spade terminals and crimped connectors onto the wires, which works, but are slightly longer than the original setup, so it's a bit harder to refit the rubber boot.

Terry,

I am assuming you did not use the original spec. switch when replacing. If that is so, it may not have been able to cope with the high line pressure in this hydraulic system.