British Army "Jersey, Heavy, Wool"

wdbikemad

001.jpg

Shown is the "1955 Pattern" "Jersey, Heavy, Wool".........this was the last incarnation of this pattern of sweater that remained in use right up to the 1970s (popular with SAS) although manufacture ceased by 1970 when the green "1968 Pattern" pully commenced issue..........

This jersey first appeared during 1941 as part of the cold-weather mountain-troops clothing.........it was a plain brown/khaki sweater with no patches or trim and featured the draw-cord "boat-shape neck opening, the lace running in-and-out of the collar opening right around the circumference...........

It was slightly modified resulting in the "1942 Pattern" that remained on issue for the Korean War...........

It was further modified during 1954 by re-enforcement patches being added to the sleeves and matching trim on the cuff ends........the "1954 Pattern"..........

Only a year later it was modified again, adding shoulder patches and epaulettes (buttoned), plus the inner-collar drawcord tunnel was changed from cotton-drill to knitted stockinette to provide greater flexibility....the "1955 Pattern".........this lasted until the garment went out in favour of the green pullys from around 1970-71 onward.....(and thereafter follows another story !)......

These garments are incredibly rare today...made in sizes "0" to "4"..........one just sold on Ebay for £150-odd in nice condition too...........

Replicas are available from WPG and are supposed to be fairly accurate.............they also do the original version bereft of any patches or trim.........a nice addition to any WW2 through to early 70s kit......:-D

Edited by wdbikemad
  • Like 1

Now that's a nice selection ! My own one shown is dated 1969 and made by "TWK" (T W Kempton I think ?).......

I also have a 1954 pattern (no shoulder patches/epaulettes) and a RAF version based on the original wartime patchless version in blue-grey wool........seemingly part of the wartime/early cold-war aircrew kit........

Hogspear does my head in big time(pure jealousy on my part)as he has a constant stream of amazing items so very rarely take much notice anymore as some are super rare items way out of my budget or ordinary items that sell for stupid money so tend to avoid his items.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111185906667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the above ! This clarifies a couple of points.......I have the same publication but 1951 edition......:D

Seems that there are 4 versions of the heavy jersey.........

1. The original pattern of 1941 which was bereft of any patches and with the drawcord running in and out of the neck.

2. The 1952 pattern that featured khaki-drill reinforcement to the neck (in which the draw-cord ran), the sleeve-ends and elbow patches.

3. The 1954 pattern that was as (2) but added drill patches to the shoulders.

4. The 1955 pattern that was as (3) but added shoulder-straps and the neck-reinforcement was changed from drill to knitted stockinette for greater flexibility and comfort.

All the above from WD LoC's (list of changes). All patterns remained in use and continued to be issued where stocks remained. The last examples of style (4) were made around 1970 prior to the introduction of the improved universal-issue olive-drab heavy duty jersey.............:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111185[/ATTACH]

Thought I'd share this; it clarifies the pattern date of the post war jersey. It's taken from "Hints on the Correct Use of Cold Weather Clothing 1954".

Allen

That's a great piece. I bet that book is a fascinating read!

• 7 years later...
On 12/28/2015 at 9:55 AM, arvp57 said:

DSCF0001.jpg

Thought I'd share this; it clarifies the pattern date of the post war jersey. It's taken from "Hints on the Correct Use of Cold Weather Clothing 1954".

Allen

Does this illustrate the correct way of wearing wristlets, woollen? I can't find anywhere that says or shows whether its worn with the part that covers your hand is over the top (covering knuckles) or covering the palm.