AFV Fire Extinguisher Replacement

Starfire

Hi All,

I've been going through my Saracen, getting it ready for registration and conducted a bit of an audit of the fire extinguishers today:

It is currently fitted with 5 of the BCF (Halon) bottles, NSN: 4210-99-881-4724, all of which were manufactured in the early 80s.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Position

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Status

[/TD]

[TD]Condition

[/TD]

[TD]Bracket

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Interior

[/TD]

[TD]Front

[/TD]

[TD]Right

[/TD]

[TD]Full

[/TD]

[TD]Good

[/TD]

[TD]Good

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Interior

[/TD]

[TD]Front

[/TD]

[TD]Left

[/TD]

[TD]Full

[/TD]

[TD]Good

[/TD]

[TD]Good

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Interior

[/TD]

[TD]Rear

[/TD]

[TD]Right

[/TD]

[TD]Full

[/TD]

[TD]Rusty

[/TD]

[TD]Does not release correctly

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Interior

[/TD]

[TD]Rear

[/TD]

[TD]Left

[/TD]

[TD]Full

[/TD]

[TD]Good

[/TD]

[TD]Good

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Exterior

[/TD]

[TD]Rear

[/TD]

[TD]Right

[/TD]

[TD]Empty

[/TD]

[TD]Dented

[/TD]

[TD]Broken

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I know that there are legal restrictions on using these extinguishers and I also know that I do not trust a 30+ year old safety device - what do you guys replace them with in your vehicles? I would prefer something that fits in the standard brackets, but I don't mind if they are red civilian type bottles, as long as they get the job done in the event that they have to be used.

I am also considering installing a "fire bomb" fixed suppression system. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these in AFVs?

Thanks,

Terry

Halon only really works in confined spaces where it is toxic to humans. Military training films show the extinguishers being let off and dropped into turret hatches and the lids closed behind so the gas can form a blanket.

I tried to fight a Carburettor Fire once on a Land Rover and it just fanned the flames.

Co2 is probably best but forget about finding ones to fit the brackets. Leave the others for show and get a big Co2 Extinguisher.

Depending on what period you are portraying with your Saracen, Halon might not even be historically correct.

Only some users such as the MOD can still use Halon extinguishers, all others should have been decommissioned by 2003. In practice MOD went over to FM200 for fixed extinguishers and CO2 for removables.

Andy

I have just installed two Halon systems in the engine rooms of two new ferries for the Scottish isles! Complete with storage tanks, overhead pipework and supply hoses. System wasn't charged tho and subsequently pressure tested by Lloyds and certified ok.

Just to pass on some advice I got when I started looking. I'm paraphrasing so I hope I've got it right.

• Foam is good for petrols, oils, etc. but you don't get a lot in the can (only a couple of seconds of squirt).

• Powder goes a lot further. It does corrode metal, but frankly if you are at the point of using it, it's better to have it around.

• Needless to say, most important thing is to get help on it's way, so phone the fire brigade.

I got a couple of small foam's for the vehicle and a big ass powder one for a POSTOSEH* moment at home/garage.

(*Possibility Of Sorting Things Our Sensibly Event Horizon)

Edited by Lauren Child

The other thing about powder, Safe at any voltage. So if your in the workshop or have generators etc, much safer. Used foam , the fire went out but fried by the electric shock. :mad:Foam is AFF if your English (Aqueous Film Foam) but AFFF in the US (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) :yawn:

The other thing about powder, Safe at any voltage. So if your in the workshop or have generators etc, much safer. Used foam , the fire went out but fried by the electric shock. :mad:Foam is AFF if your English (Aqueous Film Foam) but AFFF in the US (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) :yawn:

It looks like you can get foam ones that are safe to use on electrics (safe for the person at any rate - I imagine the device is pretty well shagged, but then it was on fire). You need to be selective though. Interestingly the ones I picked up aren't, so I need to be careful.

See here - http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/extinguishers