Fixing a tow rope.

Anti-lock tow rope.jpgI see lots of tow ropes that have pulled the knotts so tight that they cant be undone, this is how I have always fastened my tow ropes. Three loose loops and then a slip knot, done the same at both ends, undoes very easily, just make sure that the slip knott is secure. Its never failed for me, even after many miles of towing, The three loops prevent the slip knott from pulling tight.

• 1 year later...

I suggest avoiding bowlines - they can't be undone under tension and with enough force will take ages and a marline spike to undo. Go for a round turn and 2 half hitches every time, much easier to learn, and I speak from long experience towing boats (under largish snatch loads) at sea. A bowline also takes about 50% of the strength out of the rope.

bow lines have always done me good for such needs...but then I have generally used the correct tow rope and bow lines and such not really needed..but this is a good idea, although of course i should say you should not tow a vehicle with the towing eye for any thing other than a few yards and that rope is not strong enough....