ROC Combat Suit - early 1950s

Eaglehurst

Interesting that these Air-Ministry (RAF) contract suits, dated 1953, were made to the original 1951 specification for the "Combat Suit", principally manufactured and lined throughout in olive-drab gabardine..............the Army (WD) version was altered in production during mid-1952 to satin-backed 100% cotton-drill ("Cotton-sateen") with the smock retaining the earlier lining in gabardine but the trousers seeing this deleted, no doubt due to the introduction of the heavy winter "Liner, Trousers" that could be added or removed as necessary according to climate.............lining did not appear again in the combat trousers until the 60 pattern appeared during 1961...........and the smock saw the lining reduced to waist level on account of this.........

Interesting that the smock has a permanently-attached hood...........and that the AM nomenclature describes the items as a "Suit, Protective" rather than a "Smock (and Trousers), Combat".............note the AM-specified contract numbers on the labels.........:D

I would agree......"small" being a compromise between the Army stock sizes of 1 - 3, "medium" being 4 - 6, etc..........:-D Knowing the ROC, the commonest size would most likely have been "large".......:cool2:

thats what I am hoping, large!!!!!!!:-D

Mark

thats what I am hoping, large!!!!!!!:-D

Mark

Hmmm - absolutely no insult intended Mark but beware of what you might expect from a 1950s size 'Large'.

A 1950s large seems to be a bit different from a 2013 large...at 6'2" and 'cough' stone I cannot even hope to fit into a 1950s large:cool2:

Hmmm - absolutely no insult intended Mark but beware of what you might expect from a 1950s size 'Large'.

A 1950s large seems to be a bit different from a 2013 large...at 6'2" and 'cough' stone I cannot even hope to fit into a 1950s large:cool2:

You and me both Jason !!!!!!! >:(

nice, havnt seen one in the flesh yet, but............a friend of mine(ex ROC) has said I can have his old uniforms, including a "Suit Protective"!!!!!!!

Mark

sorry chaps, what he described as "Suit Protective" was actually a "Suit Protective NBC No1 Mk111 !!!!!!!:-(

Mark

Doh! Sorry to hear that Mark. It does seem that there are examples out there to find. Was there anything else of interest in the stash?

a couple of items on loan ( according to his wife I will end up with them anyway:D) of note, ROC BD Blouse (complete with his Blue Spitfire Badge) and his ATC Flt/Lt No1 with Gliding Badge!

Piccys to follow

Mark