SAS jeep question

Stefano

A friend of mine sent me thes pictures to identify the box just in front of the line of jerry cans. Obviously he has greater faith in me than I deserve because I haven't got the foggiest idea of what it is (and no, it's not a biscuit tin :) ).

Any ideas?

SASJeep[1].jpg

SAS501.jpg

HI Steffano,Core your mate dont half know how to ask a question !!! Forces in North Africa.....Brit, Indian, Australian,New Zealanders,French, Italian, German. SAS all over the place and the biggest thieving buggers going...............Not much help but i can say that its green or brown.Had a look at my flimsies and cans but could not spot anything with that size of pressed disc in the side... or base. Side shot of the jeep i would say its a bit on the small side for a flimsey can. Still looking at pics to see if i can spot anything similar Regards Tim

The last time I seen a tin like that was a puncture repair kit (for inflatables) which was a mini version of a biscuit tin and was an MOD supplied item -still issued as part of repair kit for the avon recce boat or would it be a version of the No 2 burner casing (I know they used biscuit tins and sand but similar in size to it etc

Biscuit tins were often modifed to form cookers, dump sand in then petrol and add match, while standing well back. There was an intresting episode of Ration Book Britian on Yeterday channel last night. Andy Robertshaw supplied details of improvised cokers and then presenter cooked a meal for some Chelsea Pensioners. One told a great story of an improvised stove in the desert. He was cooking pork chops, the flame from petrol is very difficult to see in sunlight. He added more fuel , and there was a hell of a bang and he was blown under a truck. He felt flesh and had red stuff running down his face! When pulled out he found himself coverd in fish and tomato sauce. The sides of the oven had bene built with Sardine Cans! Oh the pork chops survived and were very nice.

• 2 weeks later...