Sat night tank questions time! ...open a bottle and sit.......

RattlesnakeBob

That was a prototype with the 122mm that the SU-122 had basicly. :)

This was what the normal T-44 looked like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/T-44.jpg/800px-T-44.jpg

And this was what the first production T-54's looked like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Tank_T-54_in_Verkhnyaya_Pyshma.jpg/800px-Tank_T-54_in_Verkhnyaya_Pyshma.jpg

ah sorry:red: I missed the bit above your photo that said 'T44/122' ....tsk!.

..I thought that barrell looked a bit big for a 85mm!......the T44 prototype had a helluva punch then with a 122 main gun!.......the Soviets obviously learnt the lesson a lot quicker than we did regarding hitting power !........wonder why they went back to a 85mm for the production models?

In a book called Rude Mechanicals, about British tank design and manufacture prior to WW2, it was written that a particular small tank was trialled. It was rubbished by those involved. The result? 250 were ordered. Says it all really. However, we have moved on a bit since those days.

The T44 offered nothing over the T34/85, thus it was very short-lived.

The /122 variant wasn't proceeded with, as it could only carry 24 rounds of ammo for the main gun, far too little, as was the ROF of 2-3 rpm.

The 122mm gun was thus left to the heavy tanks to field.

We still order junk, now for political reasons, hence the British Army getting MAN trucks, not LDV or Oshkosh.

We still order junk, now for political reasons, hence the British Army getting MAN trucks, not LDV or Oshkosh.

SA80s instead of ?????

I dunno but........with the number of brand new M16s the Yanks have in storage we could have done a deal for a couple hundred thousand of them for quarter of what we spent on trying to get the SA80 to actually do what it was supposed to do..and still doesn't...and if the M16 isn't your bag ...what about doing a deal with Russia for some new AKs???? :) ooopppssss!...

....... to be honest the list of rubbish kit foisted on the British Armed Services is absolutely endless ....and I guess we shouldn't start getting 'political' ! hahaha!