Clansman / 432 Manual

I would like to fit Clansman intercoms to our 432.

Which manual ie name and number and description should I be looking for at a manual supplier? I would like one that shows how and where to wire in and mount the various boxes.

Ours is a Mk2/1 Bowman fit but would like to back date to Clansman intercom as we have it in stock.

R

Robin what you need to look for is Army Code No.61737/1-7 & the CSSH version Army Code No. 62059.

There is also coverage in EMER COMMUNICATIOS INSTALLATIONS

H200-209

H210-219

H240-249

I have AC 62059 I can't copy all of it but if the usual manual suppliers can't supply, I can copy a few of the critical pages.

If I can not find a original manual I use

www.vintagemvmanuals.co.uk

But there is plenty of other dealers about.

What I have found with the Users handbooks is that a installation may need more than one manual i.e. Army code no. 61590 Part7 Supplement 1....2.....3..etc.

The Radio operators handbooks tend to hold the most general information.

Hope of a little help.

Andy.

PS Actual titles:

AC 61737 Clansman Radio Installations in FV432

AC 62059 Clansman CSSH Installations in FV432

AC 61834 Clansman Secure Speech Harness (CSSH)

AC 61004 Reference Book for Clansman

AC 44618 CES Installation Kit Clansman Basic Harness FV432

AC 44697 CES Installation Kit Two-Tier rack in FV432

AC 44763 CES Installation Kit Command Harness 2-set Clansman in FV432

AC 44835 CES Installation Kit Command Harness 3-set Clansman in FV432

AC 44700 CES Conversion Kit Command to permit Clansman Radio in FV432

Also EMER TELECOMMUNICATIONS

L600-L609 Clansman Radio Control Harness

Andy,

I am in touch with vintage manuals already, he is a good bloke and gets back to you within a reasonable time frame and tells you exactly what you are buying.

Looks like I will be buying quite a package from him so far, just about to finalise order.

Thanks

R

The Clansman manuals for the FV432 are a bit of mess, with information all over the place. If you just want to install an intercom, all you need is an IC2/3 and a couple of CB2/3s together with appropriate lengths of double-ended seven-pin cables to daisy-chain the boxes together. Power comes from a rather afterthought-looking box (see attached) that's fed from the Radio Distribution Box, you just need a single 24V supply into the IC3.

The real problem is likely to be the mounting arrangements. All the Clansman boxes fit directly onto studs welded to the hull. If the Bowman mountings are different you'll have to re-jig them somehow. Here's a rather mud-bespattered CB3 at the driver's position:

Andy

IMG_1191aw.jpg

IMG_1150aw.jpg

Edited by andym

Thanks for the info, I do not recognise that grey boy in the first pictures as anything we have in stock, so there is a problem right off the bat. I will have to delve into the vehicle and see what I can find.

Im going through the same process for the Stormer as well, as driver to commander comms is a safety issue in my mind.

Thanks

R

I think the grey Radio JB is 432-specific rather than generic Clansman. There's a certain "home-made" look about it and no NSN visible. It simply contains a pair of terminal strips; 24V comes in from the 4-pin socket on the side of the radio JB under the air circulating fan and exits on assorted 2-pin plugs to match the Clansman IC3 and loudspeaker amplifier.

Andy

• 5 months later...