oep220 = iso220?

Just a quick one i have been using Lodexol ultradrive for my bevel boxes etc - i bought it from morrisons however at war and peace i met a guy with a fox in americas field who stated he uses trojan 220 as the gear oil needs to be iso220? should i get this instead?

ive seen some extreme pressure gear oil which is iso220 but if this the case why are people using ep90?

Just a quick one i have been using Lodexol ultradrive for my bevel boxes etc - i bought it from morrisons however at war and peace i met a guy with a fox in americas field who stated he uses trojan 220 as the gear oil needs to be iso220? should i get this instead?

ive seen some extreme pressure gear oil which is iso220 but if this the case why are people using ep90?

In the UK we tend to only use ISO viscosity standards for hydraulic oils, where as gear and engine oils are known under SAE viscosity grades. I cannot line up the ISO220 viscosity with SAE80w/90 which is what the army spec oil, OEP220 is. It may be confusion with the army designation of 220, which is not neccesarily its grade in civvy terms. Best to keep it simple and use a normally available gear oil grade of SAE 80w/90 or SAE 90EP for your Fox, and it looks like you are using the correct grade with the Morris oil you mentioned.

In the UK we tend to only use ISO viscosity standards for hydraulic oils, where as gear and engine oils are known under SAE viscosity grades. I cannot line up the ISO220 viscosity with SAE80w/90 which is what the army spec oil, OEP220 is. It may be confusion with the army designation of 220, which is not neccesarily its grade in civvy terms. Best to keep it simple and use a normally available gear oil grade of SAE 80w/90 or SAE 90EP for your Fox, and it looks like you are using the correct grade with the Morris oil you mentioned.

Hi - sounds good to me the lodexolultradrive is specified as 80w/90 but for all pressures so ill keep using it ;)

thanks

Mark B

Mark,

I have just found a comaprison chart on the internet, and ISO220 is equivalent to SAE90 gear oil.

So it looks like in this case, the army numbering was based on the ISO grade, this also happened on some of the military hydraulic oil specs. Always best to check though.

the irony of this is i was looking for you when i found the guy in americas field - too tall mike sent me round there to get a second oppinipn from yourself about the banging on full lock - anyway thanks as always for the input and one day i hope to meet you :)

cheers

Mark B

I remember that somewhere it was mentioned to use the GL4 spec of the SAE 90EP rather than the GL5 version as the GL5 is detrimental to the yellow metal in the boxes. Richard, do you have something on this?

its on the landrover forum gl5 idoes rot brass etc not sure if i have this in my hubs though -

the irony of this is i was looking for you when i found the guy in americas field - too tall mike sent me round there to get a second oppinipn from yourself about the banging on full lock - anyway thanks as always for the input and one day i hope to meet you :)

cheers

Mark B

Hi Mark,

Sorry, TTM said you were around, and he was going to check your noise. Did he come to any conclusion? I was often away from our camp wandering, so must have missed each other. are you going to Combined Ops at Headcorn?

I remember that somewhere it was mentioned to use the GL4 spec of the SAE 90EP rather than the GL5 version as the GL5 is detrimental to the yellow metal in the boxes. Richard, do you have something on this?

You are quite correct about GL4, Montie. The army specified gear oil for Ferret, Fox and Saracen hubs and bevel boxes, OEP-220 had a warning that it may not be suitable in applications containing gears and bearings made of copper alloys, so with this in mind, it must have been a GL5...............meaning that there are no yellow metals in anything where OEP220 is specified.

Hi Mark,

Sorry, TTM said you were around, and he was going to check your noise. Did he come to any conclusion? I was often away from our camp wandering, so must have missed each other. are you going to Combined Ops at Headcorn?

hi - yes im an IMPS member so will be there from friday onwards setting up i'll try and meet you there

cheers

Mark B

hi - yes im an IMPS member so will be there from friday onwards setting up i'll try and meet you there

cheers

Mark B

didnt answer the whole question ive filled the front bevels and this cured most of the noise i thonk your right about the nodule on the cv joint but have not had time to check this yet ttm was very helpful guy though i was glad to meet him and other hmvf guys - i also met an wx blues and royals guy who had dricen foxes for awhile and he said that the banging problem was normal on the fox

Edited by markbg

didnt answer the whole question ive filled the front bevels and this cured most of the noise i thonk your right about the nodule on the cv joint but have not had time to check this yet ttm was very helpful guy though i was glad to meet him and other hmvf guys - i also met an wx blues and royals guy who had dricen foxes for awhile and he said that the banging problem was normal on the fox

OK Mark.

Would not say that any banging in tracta joints is "normal", no matter whether it is a Fox, Ferret, Saracen, etc. any noise indicates a problem, such as I described, usually stemming from lack of oil. So, always keep levels topped up.

Look forward to meeting you.

You are quite correct about GL4, Montie. The army specified gear oil for Ferret, Fox and Saracen hubs and bevel boxes, OEP-220 had a warning that it may not be suitable in applications containing gears and bearings made of copper alloys, so with this in mind, it must have been a GL5...............meaning that there are no yellow metals in anything where OEP220 is specified.

thats really good to know as well as the stuff i use has gl5 mentioned on it ;)

• 4 years later...

Can I just check for my peace of mind....EP80/90, GL5 is an OK replacement for Ferret where OEP220 is specified...ie bevel boxes, tracta joints, steering bevel boxes and tranfer box?

Is it OK top up existing fluids with that replacement?

Cheers

Mick

Can I just check for my peace of mind....EP80/90, GL5 is an OK replacement for Ferret where OEP220 is specified...ie bevel boxes, tracta joints, steering bevel boxes and tranfer box?

Is it OK top up existing fluids with that replacement?

Cheers

Mick

Mick

I use a GL4 in ferret just to be safe. Morris Lodexol if I recall correctly.

Exactly this:

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/lodexol-80w-90-api-gl4-gear-oil.html

If the history is unknown I would drop all fluids and start a fresh.

MT

Just to be clear, OEP220 should have no deleterious effect on copper foil at 250 degrees F, so you should definitely use a spec that's compatible with yellow metal unless you know you are safe otherwise.

The actual spec is CS3000A with a minimum index of 85, but acceptable alternatives are Mil-l-2105A (Grade 90), and 3-GP-390b (Grade 90).

From the joint forces handbook of lubricants, 6th edition, 1963.