Mystery Objects No.1

fv1609

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stab in the dark here :|, but would they be sensors, to ensure the launcher was in the deployed position, and isolating the firing until it was correctly positioned. I can see a few problems if the missiles went off whilst stowed.

Saying that I seem to remeber a REME officer where I worked, was attached to a Malkara unit and said he remembered one being fired but it was still locked to the launcher :-D

Richard

Stab in the dark here :|, but would they be sensors, to ensure the launcher was in the deployed position, and isolating the firing until it was correctly positioned. I can see a few problems if the missiles went off whilst stowed.

Saying that I seem to remeber a REME officer where I worked, was attached to a Malkara unit and said he remembered one being fired but it was still locked to the launcher :-D

Richard

No Richard but an ingenious line of thought. It was indeed a problem that the missile may go off prematurely. There was a problem that sometimes missiles fired when the radio transmitter was used. At a cost of £1million it was found the fitting of a capacitor on one of the control wires stopped the problem.

Is it some form of Infra red transmitter, to pass guidance information to the rocket, while it's in flight? :?

No but the FV1620 was originally designed to fire Orange William which was infra-red controlled. But OW was cancelled in 1958 to make way for Malkara which was wire controlled.

Think it was swing-fire and rapiers in my day?........what 8 PE cells would be used for in the rear of a missile launching vehicle.....

Neil, I admire your tenacity. But they are not PE cells something more simple, that Swingfire copied directly from Malkara.

, that Swingfire copied directly from Malkara.

I learn something new every day on this forum!! :-) :-)

Well simpler sems to indicate a light unit - only reasons I can think for having white lights - and you said 8 IIRC - on the rear of a vehicle is either as working/interior lamps or reversing lamps - but 8 units seem a bit excessive for the latter????

OK Neil, you have been very indefatigable in your efforts. The NSC as I said was a bit misleading as 6220 is for "Electric vehicular lights & fixtures". I think it has been wrongly classified & should be NSC 1420 "Guided missile components".

Anyway that light unit contains a 44 watt light bulb. One is plugged into the top wing & one in the lower wing of Mk1A Malkara. It is for the operator to track the missile & guide it onto target. The Mk1 missile had instead pyrotechnic flares. The trouble with these is that they "dribbled" & gave the operator the idea that the missile was lower than it really was. The other problem was that the top one dribbled & sometimes melted/set fire to the fiibreglass wing.

So you tried well. But note I never said they were fitted to the Hornet, but carried on the Hornet. So there were 2 lights in each missile. 2 missiles carried on launcher rams & 2 missiles stowed in the Hornet.

2THING04.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
photo link repaired