Bsa m20

suzibear

Hi sorry but looking for help again with project, while stripping down the BSA M20 I found a plate attached to the rear fender on the plate is says

CHASSIS CONTACT NO 11101

CATULOGLE REF NO 31

and on the engine there is small brass which has

SOW/211/49.

If any one could tell me what these all mean i would be grateful. :-) Suzi

ok i should of put my glasses on when reading numbers off the bike

catulogle ref number SOU/211/49

Really hope someone has some info about this .

Edited by suzibear

Hi sorry but looking for help again with project, while stripping down the BSA M20 I found a plate attached to the rear fender on the plate is says

CHASSIS CONTACT NO 11101

CATULOGLE REF NO 31

and on the engine there is small brass which has

SOW/211/49.

If any one could tell me what these all mean i would be grateful. :-) Suzi

ok i should of put my glasses on when reading numbers off the bike

catulogle ref number SOU/211/49

Really hope someone has some info about this .

Hi Suzi,

The Contract number and Catalogue Ref. number are for Contract number C11101, a batch on WM20 machines built in 1941-42, with Census numbers, C4635001 - 4640000, and C4662156 - 4667155, frame numbers, WM20-53413 to 61412 and 61448 to 63447.

The brass tag, on the engine is a rebuild plate, showing it was done in a Southern Command Workshop in 1949, the number 211 would signify which workshop.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you clearing up what it all means , all i have to do now is find out what workshop 211 was , as i really what to find out as much as possible about the bike , as being female i need to find out as much as poss. thanks again your a star

Hi Richard,

Thank you clearing up what it all means , all i have to do now is find out what workshop 211 was , as i really what to find out as much as possible about the bike , as being female i need to find out as much as poss. thanks again your a star

Suzi,

You could try enquiring about that number, with the REME Museum at Arborfield, a good contact there is Brian Baxter. Some of the rebuilds and overhauls of vehicles at that time were often done by contractors, ie. civilian garages, etc, known as Army Auxilliary Workshops (AAW), but as your engine has "SOU" on it, then it leads me to think it was done by a REME Workshop.

A star.........thanks ;)

Suzi,

You could try enquiring about that number, with the REME Museum at Arborfield, a good contact there is Brian Baxter. Some of the rebuilds and overhauls of vehicles at that time were often done by contractors, ie. civilian garages, etc, known as Army Auxilliary Workshops (AAW), but as your engine has "SOU" on it, then it leads me to think it was done by a REME Workshop.

A star.........thanks ;)

Hi Richard ,

I contacted the REME Museum at Aborfield and spoke to Brian Baxter, and he seem very sure that that it was nothing to do with REME ,but for me to contact the Royal Logistics Corps Museum in Deepcut , I feel even more confused now , just wondering if you had any other idea's, as to how i could find out , Barracks that have closed down south , I know its a long shot but , never know unless you ask . many thanks Suzi

Hi Richard ,

I contacted the REME Museum at Aborfield and spoke to Brian Baxter, and he seem very sure that that it was nothing to do with REME ,but for me to contact the Royal Logistics Corps Museum in Deepcut , I feel even more confused now , just wondering if you had any other idea's, as to how i could find out , Barracks that have closed down south , I know its a long shot but , never know unless you ask . many thanks Suzi

Hi Suzi,

The reasoning behind my thoughts were this. I once worked for a REME workshops, all rebuilt engines and equipment had a data plate stamped and fitted, our workshop identification was "EC02". This dated back to wartime, meaning Eastern Command and digit relating to the workshop. Eastern Command was phased out years ago from this area ( it was South East District), so to get back to your number, I thought it might relate to a workshop within Southern Command, hence "SOU".