replacement gear oil C600

According to the lubricants guide in Clives Corner (see http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475)

OEP-220 is;

Gear oil. SAE 90. Automotive hypoid gear units, heavy duty industrial enclosed gear units, steering gears, fluid lubricated universal joints automotive eqpt.

May not be suitable in systems containing bronze or other copper alloys. (ES= O-226)

Ok I cant find any more OEP220 so what civy oil will do and can i get it cheaper than ex mod stock about 20ltrs remember the original oil was C600 for a Morris Commercial C8 FAT

Hi,

I use quite a bit of C600 in my work. The civvy equivalent grade is SAE140 Straight Gear oil, I get mine from Morris Lubricants in 25 litre drum, Silkolene also did it, remember this is a straight gear oil, do not confuse it with 140EP which should not be used if there is an "yellow" metals in the gearbox / axle, etc.

Richard

Ok my instruction book says C600 and as the truck had OEP220 stenceld on the difs and gear box I think that is ok :roll:but i need a sorce in essex south thanks :wink:

It is not uncommon for WW2 British vehicles to have oil grades changed postwar. A lot of this was to rationalise oil types for practical reasons in service, C600 was not used so much in postwar kit, plus the fact it is very heavy in cold weather. Some Morris Com C8 tractor went to Korea for instance and 600 would have taken a while to warmup in the cold out there.

Try contacting Morris Lubricants in Shrewsbury, for your nearest stockist. My source is their distribution depot in Kent, but they only cover South of the Thames.

Richard

I got the OC600 for my Matador from Forest Lubricants in Gloucestershire. http://www.forestlubricants.co.uk/

OC600 is thicker than EP90 and probably is about equivalent to EP140, but I think the main difference is its stickiness. Once it has been splashed around the inside of a diff or gearbox it will stay on the surface of all the internal parts for ever. Ordinary gear oil will slowly run down so that if the vehicle is stored for a long time without moving, those parts above the oil level may go rusty.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 years later...