Bedford TK gearbox in a MK

garry taylor

Question

Hi

Im in Iceland and parts are very expensive to get up here ( with the postage and high tax as we are not eu)

i have a Bedford MK and im looking around for parts in Iceland, ive seen some TK around from the 70s and possabley even the 60s, do you think a gearbox from a TK would work for a MK

there is also a lot of old green goddesses around...any chance some of the parts from that would be usefull for a MK

18 answers to this question

I have no direct dealings with the MK box but knowing Bedford it will be a turner box and built to a budget with absolutely nothing sophisticated in it eg standard bearings off the shelf parts. all the Bedford parts are still well supported. Whats wrong with it I know bits will cost to ship but the box will be like original citron CVs designed to be repaired by the average peasant farmer. I would guess unless its split open it will be down to a broken circlip or shattered bearing

TK and MK 4 speed box are effectively the same

(provided the TK is not a 214 petrol or early 200 diesel, if I remember right)

TK 5 speed boxes can be made to fit but you may have to shorten the prop.

Part compatibility with Goddesses is limited depending what parts you want (and it'd be a shame to break up a Goddess). Goddess gearbox would have to be modified to fit.

The 5 speed Turner box is available in either direct 5th or overdrive 5th. The direct (4 speed box is direct top isn't it?) version gives a much better ratio spread and transforms the enjoyment of driving a Bedford - you lose that horrible gap between 3rd and 4th!! I have no experience of the overdrive version, but if you want higher speed it might be a good option.

Hi guys, thanks for the replys this is realy helping,

So the is nothing actually wrong with the truck, but we are taking it to Central/west Africa next year, and the driver of the truck would realy like to have a spare gearbox.....

I live up in Iceland and yes parts are expensive to post i dont have any idea how heavy a MK gearbox is...although i believe they are a lot lighter than other trucks...only yeasterday i was reading about a old Bedford truck Overlander changing the gearbox by himself, resting the gearbox on his knee

and i remember a story of other overlanders in the 90s taking a gearbox in hand-luggage with Air Kenya...so i gess they are not so big....

anyway, the main thing is, on saturday i went for a drive to the next town and even thought my Girlfriend thinks i planed it....i just by chance found a Bedford TK...i think it was a 1260...it was long anyway, i did not get to have a long look as the GF was not looking overly happy, but i contacted the owner afterwards, and he is willing to sell parts or the whole truck....so this could make life so much easier than sending stuff around europe/africa

...hopefully it will fit

Think you might have problems swapping that for a standard MK box at the side of the road.

Perhaps take a look at the gearbox in your MK and compare it with this one? Measure the length?

Edited by Sean N

Looks like Turner 5 speed T300. You'd have to shorten the intermediate prop to fit it in.

I can't remember now how to determine if it is a direct or overdrive. There is a dowel or something on the left side of box if overdrive?

Has the truck sat for a while with the cab / body off? Looking at the gearshift gaiter, I wouldn't take it until knowing how much, if any, water there is inside ;) Pull the drain plug and see what comes out.

hi good to know these things,

the cab is still on, and the back box came off only last week, so it should be relatively ok

i was thinking of taking the prop aswell as in bypas the transfar box if that breaks aswell.....but this is just for emergencys, eg...take bits out and play around...as when a trasfare box or gear box dies, its normaly 1 cog....so i could probley sorce the cog out of the spare gearbox

and apparently it was driving 5 years ago

Edited by garry taylor

From another post about switching gearboxes, but there was no reply

''Am I right in thinking the the Bedford flywheel housing or bellhousing needs changing too, as mounting studs for Turner box don't match those of the 4 speed?''

i can get everything off the other bedford....so i can take the bell housing aswell

I think you need to review your thinking on this if you are serious about going to central or west Africa.

Why does the driver feel a spare gearbox is important?

Why are you considering taking a spare gearbox which does not match the original and will need parts machined, or extra alternative parts, to make it fit?

Why do you think the most likely transfer box failure on an MK is a gear, and given that gears are paired why do you think only one will be damaged?

Why do you think that a gear from the gearbox is likely to fit the transfer box, even on a Bedford?

Why consider a spare gearbox (and bellhousing, and prop) but not a spare transfer box?

Have you measured the prop to check that it would fit if you have to bypass the transfer box?

Are the conditions you are likely to encounter in Africa likely to need 4WD? If so, is it reasonable to plan to bypass the transfer box (and therefore run in 2WD)?

NOS is right about the gearshift rubber. Why take the owner's word that the potential spares vehicle was running 5 years ago rather than making simple checks on the condition of the gearbox (i.e. whether it has water in or not), particularly given Icelandic weather?

You have both Bedfords there; why not measure the bellhousing bolt centres if you think it might not fit?

Have you discussed or investigated the likely weak points of the MK in arduous conditions?

Hi

thanks for the input

in response to some people questions....believe me i know what im doing, i have crossed west africa 2 times before in bedfords...last time in 2013, the MK is a tought truck, hard to break, and west african roads are getting better all the time, i dont want to sound to big headed, but on this forum i probley have the most current info about west and central african conditions ( i dont know **** about east africa)

my driver, the last time he did a overland was in the 90s and the roads were a lot harder then ( crossing zaire was a bitch) back in the day the overland trucks used to take lots of spare as they were cheap as chips in the uk and they planed to keep them driving in africa for years....., he remembers the old days so wants to take some spares

im in Iceland....there is not a single MK or MJ in this nation....but there are a few tk i can get bits from, but im not close to any of them.

I have been offerd a truck ( tk 1260) to strip for 500 quid, so its a opatunaty for me to get some parts and ive read many many times about owners swaping out 4 gears boxes to 5 gear boxes easly, and for 500 quid in Iceland is a steel, im going to get the fuel tank, prop, gearbox side window and anything i can pull

Also for you guys to know...im have not seen the TK, so no i cant mesher things up , its a half a days drive...my plan is to go out, sleep in the truck and strip it over 2 days

i was not thinking a gear from a gearbox for the transfar box...i was thinking pull the transfare box out and use the prop from the TK and make it 4x2

Also for you guys to know...im have not seen the TK, so no i cant mesher things up , its a half a days drive...my plan is to go out, sleep in the truck and strip it over 2 days

yes parts are prity easy to get in west africa, if they are not in your country then they are in the next, last time we went i killed the transfar box on a bad gear change up a hill, we got a mechanic and sent him shopping and he came back a week later with the part ( he had to go to the neighbouring nation , also had riots to aviod) thats fine with me...but my driver would like some spare if possible...

so back to the question, tk to mk ...possable ?, im not talking about in a ditch... if it breaks down we can get towed to the next town and get it fixed....belive me, if you have been to a central africa scrap yard you will find everything and nothing, but the guys are skilled at doing bush mechanics....forget computers, but steel, welding and greece they know real well...eg , new uj joint does not fit perfect...np, just weld it

Edited by garry taylor

i got the gear box off after a couple of hours, its in good condition, over 5 l of oil inside...in ok condition ( ive put worse oil in a truck before in africa) it was a fair bit heavier than i was expecting...ive mesured the wholes up and they look about right, so should be ok...i will post picks when i get the chance, my main issue was turning the bolts, but not turningthe prop at the same time (as the breaks are gone) i had to stick a spanner in the works to stop the truck from moving....i thought it did look prity rustly, but it was mostly just a layer of oil backed onto everying, under it,all was fine, origanal paint, good nick

i got the gear box off after a couple of hours, its in good condition, over 5 l of oil inside...in ok condition ( ive put worse oil in a truck before in africa) it was a fair bit heavier than i was expecting...ive mesured the wholes up and they look about right, so should be ok...i will post picks when i get the chance, my main issue was turning the bolts, but not turningthe prop at the same time (as the breaks are gone) i had to stick a spanner in the works to stop the truck from moving....i thought it did look prity rustly, but it was mostly just a layer of oil backed onto everying, under it,all was fine, origanal paint, good nick

Are you going to take a slightly longer propshaft with you to make up the length difference or just rely on local mechanics as when the gearbox goes

prop shafts are 10 a penny in Africa...i dont think there is any point taking one along...everyone seems to think that africa will destroy any vehicle in seconds so you need to take tons of part with you....i find, if you have a basic truck then you can easily make basic repairs...its extremely common in west africa to see vehicles 40 or 50 ..hell even older, being used everyday while being overloaded.

DSCN2895.jpg

2 days and 1 night out in the countryside, not another living soul for 50 km, no running water ( apart from the Ice cold glacer river) and no electricity, all this along with extrema wind speeds...but hay i got a bunch of partDSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2897.jpg

DSCN2898.jpg

DSCN2899.jpg

DSCN2896.jpg

DSCN2900.jpg

DSCN2903.jpg

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2912.jpg

DSCN2893.jpg

DSCN2894.jpg

Edited by garry taylor