Bedford TM 4x4 and 6x6 Help with dimensions for model building

okdoky

Hi Folks

I am looking for help from someone in the know, or better still someone in Scotland who owns Bedford TM's to get in touch if possible.

I build military models in 1/24 scale and am looking to buikd a Bedford TM 8T 4x4 and a TM 6x6 from plasticard. To do this I need to build up good reference information, critical dimensions and photos of the real thing so that I can make the models as accurate as possible.

The 1/24 DROPS build I am just about finished

DVC09260.JPG

Hope someone can assist.

All the best

Nige

DVC09247.JPG

DVC09249.JPG

DVC09258.JPG

• 6 months later...

Hi folks

Thought I might bump this thread again to see if anyone might be able to help !

I am trying to build the Bedford TM's in a logical, axles upwards, progression, but I am finding detailing and dimensions of the chassis rails hard to come by !

Are these trucks not as popular that there are little in the way of chassis photos and restoration blogs ?

I saw this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150956220716?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If the owner or the prospective purchaser could help me out with photos of the chassis, I would be so grateful.

Hope you can help

All the best

Nige

Nigel - somewhere I have a really good civilian combined brochure for both the TM 4x4 and 6x6, this has some big multi-angle views of the chassis cabs with most of the detail you need, and maybe the key dimensions. There would only be minor detailing differences between these and the military versions, especially the 6x6.

I can't find it right now (I did look when you first posted this!), but I 'm pretty certain I know who may have borrowed it, so if I can retrieve it I will scan and put up here. Bump this again if nothing appears within a fortnight :-D

Nigel - somewhere I have a really good civilian combined brochure for both the TM 4x4 and 6x6, this has some big multi-angle views of the chassis cabs with most of the detail you need, and maybe the key dimensions. There would only be minor detailing differences between these and the military versions, especially the 6x6.

I can't find it right now (I did look when you first posted this!), but I 'm pretty certain I know who may have borrowed it, so if I can retrieve it I will scan and put up here. Bump this again if nothing appears within a fortnight :-D

Hi NOS

Many thanks for taking time out to look ! Anything you and any one else finds will be greatly appreciated !

All the very best

Nige

Hi NOS

Had a great day today thanks to George McPhie & Sons Servicing in Linlithgow !!!!!! They let me loose around the TM 4x4 they are selling and I rattled off 218 pics !!!!

Am still looking for info and similar pics of the 6x6 if you or anyone else has access !!!!!! Plus drawings of the 4x4 !!!!!!!

Any and all help greatly appreciated as always !!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Nige

NOS

That sounds fantastic !!!!!!!!!! If I could make any request, it would be for lots of shots of the rear two axles and their connections to the chassis, along with the main chassis rail configuration, prop shaft and plumbing differences rearwards from the cab !!!!!!!

I am presuming (maybe wrongly) that forwards of the transfer box, the 4x4 and 6x6 are virtually the same beast !!!!!!

I got lots of shots of the load bay, which was off the truck and supported on tyres down on the tarmac. I couldn't get any measure of the load bay sub frame rails !!!!! If you do have a tape measure and can reach under, one pic with a measure in shot at the chassis sub frame might give all the dimensions I would need for the build up of the rails underside !!!!!

Thanks for your help as always !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else needing reference pics for a TM 4x4 can see them on photobucket

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc229/okdoky/1-24%20Bedford%20TM%20Build/Bedford%20TM%20reference%20photos/

All the best from a wintery Scotland

Nige

NOS

YOU ARE A STAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember to step out of the way when it comes back to earth !!!!!!!!!!!! What you use to lift it ?????????? Crane or large fork lift ???????

The pics I got of the load bed and sides were restricted by the other vehicles around it and the spare parts and other junk they were storing in the bed !!!!!!! I assume your load bed is free of junk stored in it !!!!!!!!

Look forward to seeing what pics you get !!!!!!! Always amazed at the help on these forums !!!!!!!

Thanks NOS

Bad news first - the TM brochure doesn't have the 6x6 chassis in :-(

I now realise I was thinking of a Dodge G16 tipper chassis brochure (very similar style) which showed the 4 wheel and 6 wheel chassis side by side.

This is the TM 4x4 brochure - 12 pages incl. covers. Also attached dimensions from the Civilian Specification brochure.

I noticed you've put tipping hinge brackets on - but are these not for the swb tipper chassis only?

TM Brochure.jpg

Dimensions.jpg

TM Body underside, you can see from wheel arches which end is front:

Main rails are 85 x 50mm channel, 885mm over outside of channels.

Short uprights from chassis rail feet to body rails are 80 x 40mm box. These are not at uniform centres. Pads are 160 x 60

Forgot to measure U channel cross rails - centre of first pair are 650 back from body front.

Two front bulkhead uprights are 80 x 40 box.

Any other dimensions needed, let me know.

DSC04625.JPG

DSC04618.JPG

DSC04619.JPG

DSC04620.JPG

DSC04621.JPG

DSC04622.JPG

DSC04627.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.

Hi NOS

According to the chassis drawing, it appears to be lifting points (for production line as well as helo rides) which are identical front and rear of the chassis,It was myself that presumed the points would also be used for fitting tipper or plough attachments.

Front ones visible above bumper

DSC03919.jpg

Rear ones

04122012655.jpg

This TM did have a GS cargo body on the back.

Is it possible to send a copy of the brochure through e-mail?

How did you get on with pics of the cargo bed underside,etc ?????????? Any luck there ?????????

Thanks as always

Nige

According to the chassis drawing, it appears to be lifting points (for production line as well as helo rides) which are identical front and rear of the chassis,It was myself that presumed the points would also be used for fitting tipper or plough attachments.

It would seem you're not wrong there :cool2: Can scan and email brochure. Note I just corrected a couple of body dimensions.