Installing New Points...

Vulture

Guys, a total noob :n00b: question here in relation to my CCKW... :blush: :embarrassed:

I had a bit of time this afternoon, thought I'd put in the new points I recently picked up from Rex Ward.

With my older cars I used to turn them over by hand using the fixed fan on the crank, but of course that's not an option here.

So I get the starting handle out for the first time, as I know I need to rotate the engine until the the points open. Walk to front of truck with handle.... Ahhhh, bleep bleep winch is in the way, time to check manual... What the **** ? :shocked:Apparently I need to unwind the entire cable (which just know won't go back as tidy) !!! :nut: :mad:

Someone, anyone, please tell me there is another way of slowly turning the engine over....

Kind regards to all

Vulture

If you push hard down on the fan belt to momentarily increase tension and then turn the fan you should find it will turn the crank. Alternatively drop the tin cover underneath the bellhousing and lever the flywheel.

Edit: Aha - I see RF has beaten me to it :-D

If you push hard down on the fan belt to momentarily increase tension

Edit: Aha - I see RF has beaten me to it :-D

Tony,

You mentioned the bit I forgot,.............................. if the belt still slips when turning the fan push your fist against one of the runs and it will grip more. This way you can often keep an eye on the points as you turn it over.

The starter is right next to the distributor. Use a long flat bar to bump the starter until the points are on the top of a lobe and set the gap.

http://www.vehiclesofvictory.com has a 'starter tool' on their web site that does just this.

I'm sure mechanics in WWII used something similar.... a winch is nice, but it mostly gets in the way.