Odd Potential Modern British Army Collectables

wdbikemad

As time marches ever-onwards, there are a few odd items that I've noticed may just be worth picking up......

1st pattern British DPM desert cammo clothing, almost identical to the old tropical clothing......go for mint items if possible..

And on a similar vein, the DPM desert cammo heavyweight " '92" pattern combat smock that is a dead copy of the more common European cammo variety......thoughts are that this item saw very brief production and use before going out in favour of the CS 95 desert smock......

Older British '68 pattern woolley pullys without eppaulettes, with 100% cotton-denim patches and a looser knit overall than later models.......

DMS ankle boots in larger sizes in new condition......I still have a spare pair as issued to me in 1983 complete with the card instruction label up in the loft somewhere....!

Early (1960's dated) S6 respirators.......

MK1 NBC smocks, trousers and hoods, far less common than the later (hood-attached) MK2............

Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject ?

I never encountered the Frame, Manpack whilst I was in the army and came across this one in our local Army&Navy – now sadly gone – in 1974. I was looking for a frame rucksack for a walking camping tour I was going on but, unlike today, they were really expensive then. Then I spotted this. I knew I could easily strap a 58 patt pack and kidney pouches to it and, brand new at two quid, it was very cheap. It worked perfectly. It was as light as a feather, and the strap arrangement kept the load clear of your body and allowed a free passage of air across your back. The head strap proved to be very useful on steeper ascents, where it was necessary to lean forward.

My neighbour, an old Korean War hand from the Kings recognised it right away. The frames first appeared there with the American forces, who issued them to their own troops and also to the Korean porters they employed. They proved invaluable for transporting rations, water and ammunition up the long steep tracks to the company positions on the hills. The frame even had a little shelf, now lost, which could be moved onto any of the rungs, allowing loads of varying sizes and weights to be positioned exactly, where they were then strapped into place. The British quickly realized their value and ordered a quantity for our troops, often utilizing them for radio packs as well. This one even had a little British army booklet with it, now sadly lost, which had diagrams of how to set the load and strap it in place. An excellent idea and still in use in many armies worldwide. I’ve never seen another and wonder if anyone else ever came across them?

frame 001.JPG

frame 002.JPG

frame 003.JPG

frame 004.JPG

frame 005.JPG

I used to see a lot of those frames around 25-30 years ago. But when I wanted one for my Vigilant display a few years later it was a long time before I found any let alone a decent one. Very useful as this man walking out with a prototype Vigilant demonstrates.

App2665a.jpg

Yep we used to have a store full of them, mainly for the larkspur radios if they didn't use the murphy carriers etc, also for load carrying awkward kit. not used a lot and when we got rid of them in the 80s most were still brand new and wrapped up complete with the shelf and straps etc.

Can't comment about the alloy design shown, which is clearly late or post WW2, but the concept goes back well before the Korean War. The British army used packboards in WW1 and WW2, complete with the head strap, which is called a 'Tumpline' They were referred to as 'Yukon' packs during WW1.

Same principle, and just as useful, but made of wood etc and obviously a bit heavier.

The septics had them in WW1 too. I think the Canadians claim credit though for introducing them, but who knows. A good idea anyway and a handy bit of kit.

Regards

Paul

Those things were the most miserable excuse for a load carrier I have ever had the misfortune to use.

They were worse than throwing a potatoe sack over your shoulder.

The straps cut in to you with every stride. They were only made bearable with much modification using foam and gaffer tape.

R

Collectables for the future?? Who knows, funny how kit is so common it just sells through market stalls, car boots etc. for kids, fishermen, shooters etc. etc. Then one day it has all gone and been binned. This must have happened to 68ptn. I remember my local 'outdoor shop' selling great coats, war time gas mask bags. I could go on, for next to nothing. One reason ANY intresting bag, bits clothing, old and modern I pick up if only a pound or two. Good job I'm single!!! But as first of this thread stated, must be mint or real clean and tidy.

Good ol' Sabre Sales in Southsea had a pile of these frames in the famous webbing room until very recently....I expect they are still there........the 44 webbing section also carried many of the straps for this thing, mainly mint condition (there were loads of them).......check out the really good "British Jungle Webbing" & "British Post War Webbing" books, plus the official 44 webbing instruction booklet that can usually be found on Ebay as a repro.......loads of details and illustrations of this item, how to fit it and all the component parts.....officially termed a "Manpack carrier"....

I sold one of those (with straps) at the Cobatton Bring and Buy sale earlier this year and still have one in the cuboard (no straps). I have seen them occasionally at Amateur Radio rallies, one chap was asking £35 for one (minus straps). What I call stupid money.