Wiring 24v charging system

Electrics are my worst subject so can someone help me please? The Explorer had no electrics as such when I bought it. We cobbled together some wires to enable us to start it up,(push button starter switch with no ignition and two battery leads running to starter and earth) but it would be useful if I could add to this to get it to charge its own batteries.

It has an AEC diesel with alternator, negative earth system and runs two 12v batteries. I think that all I need to do is run an earth from the alternator to the chassis and a positive wire back to one of the positive battery terminals. Is this enough or should I include any fuses or control boxes etc. Any advice would be appreciated as the Meadows petrol wiring manual is like reading chinese for me and I don't want it all to go up in smoke :nono: Thanks Daz

Liam belfast, Daz 76 if its a AEC the alt is prob a butec from mem you need an external regulator a warnings light circuit on your alt the terminal are marked poss D- D+ main connections then you have terminal A. F. you will need a 440 regulator and a bulb holder 24v