FV432 Gas or Diesel??

B85

Hello. I am new and would like to know witch is better? Gas or Diesel for the FV432 APC? I have found some here in the states am looking into it.

What about spairs also,what is needed? Worked with 114's and 113's back in 1970's when in the Cav. Thanks for the help!

Randall

both versions have their issues and bonus's. Generally I think the diesel is more reliable, but then the b81, looked after properly is fine too, its just that its a petrol engine and things go worng, like sprak plugs fail, carbs play up, etc. I would say if you are mechanically minded either is good...if you have other people look after your machine then a diesel may be better...I have the diesel 4342 and petrol stalwart (same engine as the 432) and it has been fine with just normal maintenance...

Randall,

Over in the US the petrol 432 (mk1) is more common than the diesel (mk2) as you have cheap petrol, and diesel is a little harder to get hold of. I've had a couple of Mk 2s and also driven a Mk 1 a few times. There is no real difference in the way they drive, but the petrol engine might need a bit more looking after than the diesel. The diesel pack is also easier to obtain should you need to do a pack change. The spares you need depend on how often you're going to drive it and on what terrain. Wheels and tracks are about, but you'd need to get them from the UK and shipping won't be cheap.

Chris

Thanks for the input!

Chris,I see you are in the Biz and was wondering is $16000 US a good price.I am told it ran but some hose's are off? You know "Needs work"?Also would you have a running 432 Diesel what needs a clean up and paint and other repair? I dont know what it would take to get it to the States?

ThanksAgain!

Randall

Randall,

Not really in the Biz, just crazy enough to bid on things in MoD tender sales! The first one was going to be a project, but was sold to someone who started doing tank driving days. He was looking for a backup vehicle, so I bought another which was a non runner and got it going before selling it on. Certainly with the Mk 2 diesels mostly they were non runners due to electrical faults, bad earths or dodgy fuel solenoids etc.

I have no idea what they go for in the USA, but $16000 probably sounds about right for one on your side of the pond, I imagine shipping one over would be quite costly. You have to ask why 'some hoses are off' and hope that it's nothing serious!

Randall,

Not really in the Biz, just crazy enough to bid on things in MoD tender sales! The first one was going to be a project, but was sold to someone who started doing tank driving days. He was looking for a backup vehicle, so I bought another which was a non runner and got it going before selling it on. Certainly with the Mk 2 diesels mostly they were non runners due to electrical faults, bad earths or dodgy fuel solenoids etc.

I have no idea what they go for in the USA, but $16000 probably sounds about right for one on your side of the pond, I imagine shipping one over would be quite costly. You have to ask why 'some hoses are off' and hope that it's nothing serious!

16000 seems pretty low, most are going 22k and up.

I'd bid on MOD tender sales...

Bidding on items in MoD tender sales from the USA is a very VERY bad idea! You definitley need to view what you are bidding on. People have been badly caught out in this country doing this, never mind from several thousand miles away! AFVs sold through tender are rarely in running condition, they always have flat batteries, often the engine is missing etc. If you win the bid, you have 7 days to pay. They do not take credit cards. You then have 7 days to remove the item before they start charging you daily storage charges. Though this isn't really applicable right now since the MoD are not releasing any armour at the moment.

Chris

Bidding on items in MoD tender sales from the USA is a very VERY bad idea! You definitley need to view what you are bidding on. People have been badly caught out in this country doing this, never mind from several thousand miles away! AFVs sold through tender are rarely in running condition, they always have flat batteries, often the engine is missing etc. If you win the bid, you have 7 days to pay. They do not take credit cards. You then have 7 days to remove the item before they start charging you daily storage charges. Though this isn't really applicable right now since the MoD are not releasing any armour at the moment.

Chris

Always the cruel hand of fate Chris!

:-(

Thanks Chris!

Doing it from here is the hard way!!

I will need to go have a look at the one here!

What are the road pads going for? and how about road wheels?

I know the shipping is going to hirt but what bo power pack go for?

I was thinking maybe 2 power packs and some other parts in a 20 ' cantainer mite work?:shocked:

Thanks for the help!

Randall

Thanks Chris!

Doing it from here is the hard way!!

I will need to go have a look at the one here!

What are the road pads going for? and how about road wheels?

I know the shipping is going to hirt but what bo power pack go for?

I was thinking maybe 2 power packs and some other parts in a 20 ' cantainer mite work?:shocked:

Thanks for the help!

Randall

I don't think you'll be getting a 432 in a 20' container unless you break it down into pieces. The width of a 432 is 2.8m, a standard shipping container is 2.44m wide outside.

You want to be careful shipping vehicles. Some chaps at work shipped a Pinzgauer back from abroad and some careless Arab chaps stacked a container on top of it! :nut:

The vehicle was mostly fine but the roof is a different height on one side to the other :rofl:

Stone