French or Italian Truck - any ideas?

N.O.S.

Here is a photo which fell out of a recently acquired WW2 U.S. manual.

I've seen trucks like this portrayed as Italian WW2 in the film "Captain Corelli's Mandolin".

Can anyone I.D. the vehicle - country of origin and era -please?

P.S. The fact that I posted this picture not necessarily imply that I consider it to be an attractive vehicle :-D

Unknown truck.jpg

Hi N.O.S.

Yes, it's French.

It's a Simca Ford model F569WML/F594WMC (shorter chassis). Era built around 1950-on, but still being used in 2000 at least.I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some still in service somewhere. Bodywork was flatbed, cargo, wireless house-back,tipper,Number 7 set, tanker, even a helicopter launch pad. 3 to 5 ton depending on use. I think around 10,000 4x2 cargos and 14,000 4x4's were produced.

V8 petrol power was, I believe, built in the old Bugatti factory in Alsace.

The picture you have shown, has a civilian registration from the Indre et Loire, probably taken at Neuvilly-Pailloux, near Chateauroux, where they often build the bodywork for French military trucks.

Neuvilly are currently involved in re-bodying the new generation ex-Berliet GBC8KT into the new shape GLC180 Sherpa.

Best wishes,

Mike