WW2 Unit No's??

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks,

I have a little question for anyone out there who know's about these things!!!

I am renovating my Bedford QL to be a tribute to my late father, who served with the REME LAA, 8 Corps and attached to 5th Guards Armoured Brigade Workshops.

I have two photo's of him with his truck, but due to the quality of the photo and the position of the vehicle, lighting etc.etc.....just can not see the unit no's painted on the front of the old girl, as best I can see ( With magnifying glass!!) it looks like 320 but can't be certain!

Have now got the colour of the backing,dun me omework!! But....No idea about this B.... Number!!

Anybody out there who can help!!! Pretty Please!

All the Best Folks

Looking forward to W&P

Fred

8 answers to this question

Have you referred to British Military Markings 1939-45 by Peter Hodges and Michael D Taylor - Cannon Publications 1994 ISBN 1 899695 001

Your library may be able to get it for you.

According to the above book 'three number unit serials' were for Army Group units and not those in lower formations such as a Corps or Division so I am note sure about 320. Could it be T2C which is an RA tactical marking?

Incidentally do you mean REME LAA as in Light Anti Aircraft or LAD as in Light Aid Detachment?

I will do more digging

Edited by LarryH57

Thanks for your help,

He was REME, Light Anti Aircraft maintainance served with 8 Corps, and was attached to 5th Guards Armoured Brigade Workshops, his vehicle was a general service utility vehicle.

I looked at the photo under a magnifying glass, I thought it looked like 320 but my wife also had a look and she thought it was only 2 digits !

As she has had her eye's lazered, I think she could be right as this would tie in with what you have said eh?

Hope you can help, I have managed to break my leg...Yesterday! So, this has reduced my roaming a bit!!

Do you have a name? :-)

All the Best

Fred

As '49' says, Hodges & Taylor is your best option but because Michael Taylor's addenda are longer than Peter Hodges' original publication, it takes a long time to sort out the relevant information and there is no index.

It really is necessary to work out where in the hierarchy his unit was positioned.

My understanding of the book is as follows but no substitute for having a look yourself. It's a book to put your feet up with (but I expect that you're doing that anyway).

If he was Corps Troops then the following would seem to apply -

HQ Corps Troops REME - 70

Corps Troops Workshop - 71

If he was Armoured Division -

Armd. Bde. workshop - 99

If the vehicle was Corps Troops then the insignia should have a white band above it.

LADs used the number of the unit to which they were attached on REME colours.

An LAD attached to the LAA unit of an armoured division would have displayed 73 on Blue / Yellow / Red.

I hope this helps rather than adding to the confusion.

Let us know how you get on. Could you post the picture here ?

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Thank's for this info, I am attempting to attach photo's, think you will see what I mean!!

I have found out from REME Museum many years ago whilst researching my Dad's war years that it would have had the tri-colour REME backing tho at that time the guy I was communicating with could find no records for individual sub units, so could not help with no's!

If you have one of those super-dupa photo enhancement gismo's on your computer perhaps you may be able to clarify it a little better??

Once again Thanks for your help......and yes... I have got my foof up!!

Regards

Fred

PS.... The number is on the rolled panel bottom right side of radiator, as viewed from driver's position! ie Left as you look at it!! He He!

Fred

Hi Fred,

I cannot make out the number on the REME sign, but on the passenger side, it is the VIII Corps sign (8th Corps), the white knight on horseback on a red background.

Hi Fred,

I cannot make out the number on the REME sign, but on the passenger side, it is the VIII Corps sign (8th Corps), the white knight on horseback on a red background.

Hi Richard, Matey!

Thought you might see it :-)

I got the stencils for the 8 Corps but its just this number at the front I just can't make out but Rich seems to have struck a note with 73 on unit colours as the number I can see is definatly a 3, just can't see the first one!!

Thanks

Fred