To SVA or Not to SVA, that is the question.

LoggyDriver

I've been having a bit of a discussion regarding the SVA test for my Bedford MJ with Stone. I've noticed at least one person on here has done this with their vehicle, but after looking at the regulations I am 90% sure you do not need to have this test done on a truck. There are several reasons why I think this is especially as the route I am going to take is the "motor caravan" route. I will cut and paste the info from the DoT website and add here to see what you guys make of it.

Okay. The first point is the age of the vehicle. For a standard SVA or indeed the Enhanced SVA the vehicle needs to be less than 10 years old.

Will SVA affect you?

Generally, your vehicle will need to be approved under the SVA scheme and issued with a Minister's Approval Certificate (MAC) if it is up to 10 years old from the date of manufacture and is not covered by either an EC or national type approval (British or similar national approval from another European Economic Area Member State).

Standard SVA only will be applied to the following:

• a left hand drive vehicle
  • a personally imported vehicle 5
  • an amateur built vehicle
  • a vehicle manufactured in very low volume
  • a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle (for manufacturers only)
  • a rebuilt vehicle (mandatory if first licensing and registration required)
  • a motor caravan (optional)
  • an ambulance (optional)
  • a hearse
  • an armoured vehicle

The above categories are defined in Appendix 1.

Enhanced SVAwill be required in addition to the Standard SVA in all other cases.

NOTE If you purchase a vehicle that has no identity, or have a vehicle that's identity has been removed by the DVLA and in either case another identification number issued, the vehicle is likely to require an Enhanced SVA.

So not only does the vehicle need to be less than ten years old, a "motor caravan" is an OPTIONAL requirement.

You then have the weight aspect. In the regulations the terms, "cars and light goods vehicles" are used.

Appendix 2 - Special arrangements for certain goods vehicles exceeding 3,500kg gross weight

SVA normally applies to Light Goods Vehicles up to 3,500kg gross weight and to any passenger car. If, however, a heavier goods vehicle is of the same "family of types" as a vehicle that has already passed SVA (either as a goods vehicle no more than 3,500kg gross weight, or as a passenger car) it may be submitted for SVA providing:

• the design gross weight does not exceed 5,500 kg; and
  • the kerbside (i.e. unladen) weight does not exceed 3,425 kg.
  • The vehicle is downrated to 3500kg GVW

"Family of Types" means vehicles which do not differ in at least the following essential respects:

• the manufacturer,
  • essential aspects of construction and design:
  • chassis/floor pan (obvious and fundamental differences),
  • power plant (internal combustion/electric/hybrid).

This clearly states that a design gross weight of 5,500 KG cannot be exceeded, a Bedford MJ clearly exceeding this.

Then to finish off we have this statement.

In all cases, SVA (whether enhanced or standard), is only required for vehicles less than 10 years old, which require first licensing and registration in Great Britain. SVA remains available as an option for all cars and light goods vehicles.

I'm going to ask the guys at VOSA tomorrow what the score is, but it looks like trucks over 10 years old and that are over 5,500 KG are not subject to the SVA or enhanced SVA test.

If you are going to talk to VOSA on a technical question and expect to use the answer received for a practical purpose:

1) Get the answer in writing

2) Make sure the "person" giving the reply also gives their name and position.

3) Keep a record of the times ad dates of your comm's with them.

If you don't then the end result could turn out very expensive - for you!!!

I always thought the Army never bothered with type-approval - they're exempt from C&U regs so it doesn't much matter to them. The FV432 isn't a bad example - lighting and rubber track pads to conform to C&U, but it's too wide to be legally road-registered! The fact that many of them end up registered anyway might give you a clue as to the joined-up-thinking behind many of these decisions - Neil's spot on, you can ring them up 5 times and get five conflicting answers.

All you can do is read the appropriate legislation and try your best to comply...but it's certainly a lot easier with a V112G.

Stone

Well, I was down there today and had a chat with the guys down at Newbury VOSA station.

I have been given a number to call, Swansea Tech. Apparently, I need to have a chat with this guy in Swansea, who will send me these forms that I need to fill in. One of them I think is a "Notification of alteration". This is because I am converting the comms body to a motor caravan. The guy at VOSA did confirm that if I go the motor caravan route the truck will not require under run protection, rear bumper or tacho.

After I fill these form out i "think" he said I have to send them back to Swansea where the Tech guy will go through them, then send them to Newbury VOSA. I then take the truck there for an inspection of the work carried out and they will do an MOT at the same time.

Just need to collect the truck so that I can get on with the conversion.