Overlord 2009 - Monday

The Overlord military vehicle gathering took place over the weekend of 22nd-25th May at the Horndean Showground near Portsmouth. Organised by the Solent Overlord Executive, this year's event drew a massive number of vehicles of all types and ages for the commemoration of the 65th Anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy. Unfortunately, I was only able to attend on the final day and quite a large proportion of the vehicles had already left to catch ferries to France for the speciaql events to be held there, however even so there was much of interest for the good sized crowd that turned up.

As well as being able to wander at will amongst the parked vehicles, there was an arena where parades of vehicles were held (Post War before lunch and WW2 following the break), as well as music from the Training Ship Alacrity Band and the Bark Rite Dog Display Team.

There was also a WW2 battle re-enactment with plenty of pyrotechnics, smoke and mortars and the 40mm Bofors Gun was also in action. This was very well staged and delighted young and old watching from behind the barriers.

Thisa was the first military vehicle gathering of this nature that I have attended and I will definitely make a date in the diary to return again. It was a very friendly event and my special thanks go to the gentleman giving the commentary on the WW2 Parade for allowing me to photograph the vehicle from close quarters inside the arena.

You will note that I have not given detailed vehicle captions to the photographs. This is simply due to a lack of knowledge on my part! If anyone veiwing the photographs can provide vehicle details (make/model etc) then I will update this review as they come in.

The following are just a few shots from the day. A full gallery of over 370 images, which includes at least one shot of every military vehicle to be found on the field on Monday, can be found here: http://www.simonsfotos.co.uk/c1704313.html

Overlord200900009.jpg

Overlord200900047.jpg

Overlord200900098.jpg

Overlord200900183.jpg

Overlord200900226.jpg

Overlord200900259.jpg

Overlord200900272.jpg

Overlord200900286.jpg

Overlord200900298.jpg

Overlord200900366.jpg

Overlord200900382.jpg

Overlord200900440.jpg

Cracking photo's Simon, you must come to more events! Thats me with my back to you on the Mortar. How does one purchase copies of your pictures? I see your only up the road, pay us a visit at the D-Day museum next Saturday the 6th....oh and bring your camera!

Paul

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Great pics mate,should of come on the saterday you could of had a decent champ to photo.CW.

Cracking photo's Simon, you must come to more events! Thats me with my back to you on the Mortar. How does one purchase copies of your pictures? I see your only up the road, pay us a visit at the D-Day museum next Saturday the 6th....oh and bring your camera!

Paul

Would love to come to that Paul. Problem is I have to be back early afternoon for a 25th Wedding Anniversary do. I might try and get down for the morning though. As for photos, no problem at all. Let me know which ones you want from the website gallery and email me at info@simonsfotos.co.uk with your needs and what size you want and I'll let you know prices etc.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Mine wasn't there :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

No it wasnt at Bealieu either,dodger,named and shamed in the next Mag:-D