Hello everyone!

Maggie

My name is Margaret, I live in Kansas just south of Kansas City. I am a retired automotive technician turned computer geek. While I am new to military restorations, I do have some experience with custom motorcycles.

Last week I was fortunate enough to acquire a 1954(?) Triumph TRW military bike. Which I believe came from Canada, I have no paperwork so this is just a guess. While the bike is in pretty rough condition, all of the engine components and electricals seem to be intact, along with most of the cables and the throttle. The frame is in good condition as well, with about 95% of the sheet metal present. The front fender has been bobbed and the rear is missing the lower flap. But all together not too bad, I think.

I am really looking forward to communicating with everyone. I am interested in the history, what markings it may have had, any information about it. I must ask your indulgence ahead of time for all the questions I am going to ask. Thanks for having me!

Triumph TRW.jpg

Last week I was fortunate enough to acquire a 1954(?) Triumph TRW military bike.

Welcome to the forum Maggie. I think you are very fortunate to have found such an interesting machine. It's not difficult to imagine how handsome it will look after you have restored it. Maybe you would like to start a restoration blog.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Thank you for the welcome. I am hoping that I am up to the task of making it the machine it deserves to be. Starting a blog for it would be fun..but it will have to wait. I am still in the research phase at the moment. This is my first try at a Triumph, so I need to learn all I can before I put my ignorance on display :)

Last week I was fortunate enough to acquire a 1954(?) Triumph TRW military bike. Which I believe came from Canada, I have no paperwork so this is just a guess.

Hi Margaret,

If you think the TRW came from Canada, then it might well be one supplied to the Canadian Army as I know they did have them.

Any suggestions on how to find out? The paint color seems to be close to what few pictures I have seen of Canadian bikes and what history I have been able to find said that most were sold to Canada or India. Being in North America I assumed that Canada would be the logical choice.

Any suggestions on how to find out? The paint color seems to be close to what few pictures I have seen of Canadian bikes and what history I have been able to find said that most were sold to Canada or India. Being in North America I assumed that Canada would be the logical choice.

The British Army also used them right up until late 70's. Not sure if there are any Canadians on this forum, but might be worth trying on another forum called MLU Forum, which is a military vehicle and history one based in Canada, several of the guys have links to army museums, so records may exist.

Thanks again. Do I need to move this discussion over to the motorcycle section?

It's entirely up to you. Members who are interested in motorcycles might not think to look here so, yes, why not start your own thread in the MC section ? When you get the time, please post some more photographs of your Triumph. Thanks.:thumbsup: