BritMil VRN

Yorkie

Greetings from a newcomer. Sorry to leap in with a question, but I'd be very grateful if someone could please direct me to an online resource linking BritMil post-WWII VRNs to either a rough timeframe, or better still, to specific vehicle?

Or, if I may be more specific, when would xxEMxx have been issued? It predates the RL that I herded around BAOR as a sprog squaddie in the late '70s.

My thanks.

Andy

Thanks, Clive, I had a feeling you might be on hand to offer your knowledge. Unfortunately, the serial is listed in a booklet 'due for production in 2002', so my guess is that I'll have to dig about some more.

Thanks anyway.

Andy

I'd be very grateful if someone could please direct me to an online resource linking BritMil post-WWII VRNs to either a rough timeframe, or better still, to specific vehicle?

Andy,

Those serials with first letter E started in early 1960's and the F range started in 1967. EA, EB, EC, ED and EE were asigned to "A" vehicles. For "B" vehicles, EK, EL, EM, EN, EP, ER, ES and ET. the sequence starts 00EK01 through to 99EK99, then 00EL01 and so on. I would hazard a guess we are talking around 1963-65 give or take a year.

A few examples of EM range;

07EM75 Land Rover 2a 109"

06EM45 ditto

00EM88 ditto

09EM27 ditto

13EM99 ditto

14EM54 ditto

15EM46 Bedford RLC3 platform truck

04EM23 Two wheeled dropside farm trailer

24EM31 Land Rover 2a 109" ambulance

The highest number I came across, is the ambulance, lots more Land Rovers interspursed with those listed. Theoretically the range would have been worked out and EN carried on. I do have a recollection of AEC 10 tonners with EN on, or was that ER ??

Hope this helps.

Richard

Thats interesting - my fav. RL in 215 was 21 EP 60.

ArtistsRifles, that sounds very close to 'my' RL, 9 Regt AAC, BFPO 41. Traded them in for MKs in about '81.

Richard, thanks for the information, it all helps to put a rough date on when the apple of my eye was on the road.

Thats interesting - my fav. RL in 215 was 21 EP 60.

ArtistsRifles, that sounds very close to 'my' RL, 9 Regt AAC, BFPO 41. Traded them in for MKs in about '81.

Richard, thanks for the information, it all helps to put a rough date on when the apple of my eye was on the road.

21 EP 60 - an RL-W - was assigned to "C" Troop, 215 Sqdn, 151 Regt RCT (VR) in the mid Seventies. We were based at the drill hall in the Mile End road opposite the tube station. As an Engineer suport unit our primary vehicles were Mk1 militant 6x4 tippers - holding a class 2 HGV meant I spent most of my time in the cab of one of those. Fun in their own way and more of a challenge to drive but the RL was the one I loved driving. Can't recall now the reg of the other vehicles after all this time - although I think the one Militant 6x6 GS we had was 08 ET 56.

Garage there held 3 Militant tippers, 1 Militant GS, 2 RL's and one 90" landrover. Oh yeah - and a BSA B40 despatch bike....