Austin Gipsy needed for Practical Classics feature

Sam Glover

Hello,

I’m looking for a hard-top Gipsy to attend a Practical Classics photo-shoot. It’s scheduled for Felixstowe on Tuesday 7th, starting somewhere in the region of 10ish.

We’ll cover costs and provide lunch. It’s for a major feature in the mag, so it'll receive plenty of glossy coverage.

Does anybody know of anyone who might be game to come along?

If so, please give me a holler.

Thanks,

Sam Glover

Features Writer

Practical Classics Magazine

sam.glover@practicalclassics.co.uk

01733 468392

Ted, your motor would be a good candidate, they'll have the complete story in a box, and the AFS side of it as well.

No doubt they will compare it to a Land Rover, but lets face it the chassis and gearbox/transfer box was miles ahead of the Rover equivalent of the time, infact probably alot better than some of the later stuff!

Many thanks. I've sent Croc a PM.

Adam: a lack of prettiness is not a problem. If you might be able to make it, please do give me a shout.

Ted: your Gipsy looks lovely. But yes, you are quite a long way away. We'll happily cover your petrol expenses if you fancy a bit of a mission.

It's for a feature on alternative convertibles - no Land Rover comparison involved. The Gipsy will appear alongside a Triumph Herald 12/50, Porsche 914 and Pontiac Trans Am.

Ted, your motor would be a good candidate, they'll have the complete story in a box, and the AFS side of it as well.

No doubt they will compare it to a Land Rover, but lets face it the chassis and gearbox/transfer box was miles ahead of the Rover equivalent of the time, infact probably alot better than some of the later stuff!

Adam when I joined up there were still a good few series one Landies kicking about, The first one I drove was a 2 I have driven 2,2A 3 swb & lwb plus lieghtweights. 90, 110, defenders including a class V8 in the Falklands. plus 1 tonne I would put my gipsy up against any series Landie both on and off road. I think the biggest let down is the brakes, mind cruising at 50 with my fire pump on the back is not what the brakes were designed for . Its too easy to forget 20mph was the norm cruising speed when they were built !!

SAM some days I struggle to drive my car 6 miles to Dundee to Tesco;

so I will have to pass on that; to be honest my back has deteriorated so much I am sadly considering selling the Gipsy;

I mentioned my pump, it was my previous project took 3 years. I thought it was ex NFS when I bought the pile of bits. but after I got it and checked with Godiva then the Army I traced it to having been Army from nov 1943 til the mid 1980s. post D day it made the journey to Germany where it served for many years. It returned from UK and ended its days at Cultty bragen camp near Perth.

I restored it to Germany 1954 colour & markings. just a co incidence my later Gipsy was the same colour !! yes that engine was rebuilt in the kitchen where else !!

TED

FSM on arrival.jpg

TRP.JPG

TRP 2.JPG

Birth of Balmullo Vol FB.jpg

Birth of Balmullo Vol FB 2.jpg

Birth of Balmullo Vol FB 3.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Ted you cant seriously expect us to believe the Gypsy was better than any of the L/rovers,It was ruddy superior in every way.Especially wth a Healy four head and some tweaking for speed events.I remember the BBC had some for there nature programs.My mate worked for Eaustace watkins in Chelsea who did the servicing.They had a garage on the first floor,so you had to boot it up the ramp,the shutter wasnt open enough,the h/top looked like a jigsaw puzzle by the time he stopped.:rofl:he later took his teeth out when the rear axle attacked him,we called him lucky.:-D

The Gipsy will appear alongside a Triumph Herald 12/50, Porsche 914 and Pontiac Trans Am.

That is one HELL of a comparison to make!!!!! I used to own a Trans Am - '78 vintage with the rare 4 speed manual box - the comparison between something like that and the Gypsy will make interesting reading.

How long before we see the article Sam???