Bart Vanderveen Award 2009???

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with all your posts there Clive. It must be remebered that the Bart Vanderveen Challenge Shield is made to the individual who is felt to have contributed most to the military vehicle preservation movement. HMVF won for being what it is and the potential that it has in bringing together such a like minded group of individuals in such a way. The future potential of HMVF with this sort of readership and members was not lost on Pat. Of course forums are going to upset groups as people can write what they want and they certainly have done on here.

I will be voting for the "G" to win it for this year.

Tim (too)

:confused::confused::confused: Forum's been a bit erratic for me tonight:confused:

On my end too, so I am reposting what I had put up earlier:

It is, in my mind, crucial to the credibility of the award and what it stands for that the decision process is kept independent.

I knew Bart well. He was a researcher and author first, and a vehicle restorer second. His speciality was soft skin vehicles of all ages, with a special interest in rare or extraordinary types. Although being of Dutch origin, he lived and worked in the UK for many years before he moved back to Holland. Therefore many HMV enthusiasts in Holland and the UK know him personally. He corresponded (yes, this was in the pre-internet age) with people and organisations across the globe and he travelled to many countries to meet HMV enthusiast and view their collections.

Therefore I am a bit surprised anyway the Bart vanderveen Award seems to be a bit of a "British only" award until now.

Meanwhile, the MVPA is handing out the annual "Bart Vanderveen Service Award" across the pond.

Mind you, I know (of) many if not most of the people who got the award, and each and every one of them has made a fine contribution to this marvelous hobby of ours.

To safeguard the legacy of Bart Vanderveen I would propose to publish clear guidelines as to which person(s) or organisations would be eligible to get any sort of award, and for what. Public vote would also be an important part of an increase of transparency. Being an author and restorer, I would propose people or organisations who publish books (or any other types of publications such as this type of internet site) or restore rare softskin HMVs, would be likely contenders being awarded a recognition in Bart´s name.

- Hanno