bead angle on bar grip tyres USA v Europe??

ToTec

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me? I know that on some 9.00 x 16 bar grip tyres the USA tyres have a 5 degree tapered bead and for UK rims you need a normal bead that fits on flat base rims.

Question is do all USA bar grip manufactyred tyres have a 5 degree taper bead and can not be fitted to UK rims or for the bigger sizes they all have the same bead construction and it is only the 9.00 x 16 tyre that have the tapered bead also 6.00 x 16 for Willys jeep do these need tapered bead rims or just normal rims??

Any info anyone could provide would be very welcomed??

Rgds

Don

Don, see my reply in an earlier thread:

Note the difficulty of fitting American tyres to British rims has nothing to do with the bead angle, it's actually the diameter of these wheels which is significantly larger. Hence the difficulties of fitting commonly available 9.00-16 tyres. Read 9.00 X 16 U.S. versus British wheels

Regards,

Hanno

http://www.geocities.com/cmpvehicles/tyres_900-16.html

Thanks thats great info on 9.00 x 16 but does the same apply also to 6 x 16 or 12 x20 etc?? Or is it just 9.00 x 16 ??

Don,

As far as I know it´s only a problem with the 16" War Department pattern split rims as found on British and Canadian vehicles.

The 20" WD pattern split rims do not have this issue.

HTH,

Hanno

Don't be put off fitting a US tyre, I have just fitted 4 to my 1944 Morris C8.

Ok they need a trim, but as I have said before, a nice sharp blade in your electric Jig Saw and just carefully trim about an 1/8 th all round to get that snug fit on British rims.

Jules