Irish Army places Churchill and Comet Tanks on Display

protacman

Comet and Churchill Tanks on Display

or

Tanks for the memories

Recently put though Base workshops thanks to the efforts of Lt. Col. Jim Dowling. These two fine ex British and Irish Army vehicles were recently placed on display outside the new dining hall on the Curragh Military Camp.

cometandchurchill011.jpg

These vehicles were purchased in two lots, firstly the Churchill's at the end of WWII and later the Comets.

cometandchurchill007.jpg

There are still two more Churchill's surviving, including the one given to the Northern Irish Horse.

cometandchurchill005.jpg

The Comets soldiered on into the 70's and their last duty was improvised bulldozer knocking down disused accommodation blocks on the Camp by simply being driven in one end and out the other.

cometandchurchill001.jpg

cometandchurchill003.jpg

Neither of these vehicles served with the Defense Forces in olive green but would have been painted a matt grey.

Thanks to Lt. Col. Dowling for giving permission to take and display these photographs.

Now I'd say these were fabricated to tidy up the vehicle after many years of neglect. Are you from Market overton or it's enviorons?( my Birthplace)

Nah sorry mate, wrong side of Leicestershire for me - i'm in the south west bit close to Hinckley

• 3 months later...