21 June 2009 - Military Vehicle Show, Duxford (Imperial War Museum)

Date:21st June 2009 to 21st June 2009

Come and experience the sheer power of some of the biggest tanks as well as the more quirky peculiarities of smaller vehicles such as jeeps or even 1940s ambulances.

The enthusiasm of private owners, the excitement of tank rides and the spectacle of the cavalcade on Duxford's runway make for a great Father's Day outing.

The Land Warfare Hall will be open as usual with many more vehicles on display for amateurs of all ages.

More information

Non-standard admission applies – and as usual children come free*

No booking required.

For more information on this or other event, please call 01223 835 000 or email duxford@iwm.org.uk

*children under 16

Show Content

The 2009 Duxford Military Vehicle Show will again be just that; no theme, just lots of military vehicles of all shapes and sizes. The display area will be back in its usual spot – between the American Air Museum and the Land Warfare Hall – whilst the popular cavalcade around the airfield will be followed by tank demonstrations in the arena.

Additionally, MAFVA will again hold their National Championships at the event plus a Military & Aviation Book Fair will take place within the American Air Museum during the day (run by the Provincial Booksellers Fair Association).

We hope to attract more militaria trade stands - which will be sited within the display area - plus there will be tank riding in the morning (£5 per head). There will be an opportunity for exhibitors to take their own vehicles in the tank arena from 4.15pm.

As always, the museum is open for all exhibitors and their guests to enjoy, including the UK’s largest D-Day Landing exhibition in the Land Warfare Hall. The show ends at 5pm and the museum closes at 6.pm.

Please note: All activities/events/participants are subject to change without notice.

Exhibitors_Booking_Form.pdf

Camping.pdf

Edited by Lauren Child
More info.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a bump up as a reminder. I'll try and get some photos of the preparation activities to whet the appetite :)

So who's coming?

If you haven't booked your vehicle in - let me know and I'll see what we can do. The more vehicles the merrier, so let me know.

Edited by Lauren Child

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

We came We saw,we conquered.

DUXFORDV2005011.jpg

It was funny really it was our first show after completing the champ,we couldnt decide what to take,Hadnt booked in so had to pay.Won best in show was totally

surprised.Havnt been back thought we would give others a chance.

Its a great place,good day out,i do remember when there were so many stalls you had a job to get round,what happened to that? Clashes with Dunsfold collection,sorry

wont be winning this year,it needs more stalls just my opinion.

DUXFORDV2005015.jpg

DUXFORDV2005021.jpg

No i am not stood in a ditch:rofl:

I reckon me and the boys will be up for the day.

Have a change as landrover owners you will be welcome at the dunsfold collection.:-D

DUXFORDV2005011.jpg

Its a long time since it looked nice and shiny like that. Methinks you need to get the rag and polish back out.

We prefer the in service look,it saves the embarasing ,you have one another prize situation.:-D

will be there, C3-22, just awaiting confirmation as to camping etc

Mark

Checked today - definitely no to wandering around the museum grounds after closing, but the guard room is manned 24 hours so it's easy enough to get in and out (and there's a pub in good walking distance just up the road :)

TTFN

Lauren

,i do remember when there were so many stalls you had a job to get round,what happened to that?

Hi Lauren any idea what happened about the traders,or was it before your time,i know a lot of the older members dont rate it as highly as before there was some rumour of politics and that a new woman had taken over and didnt wont the traders.this was a long time ago but i think traders are still thin on the ground,any reason for this as far as you know.

Sorry I only ask you as you seem to be putting yourself forward as spokes person.Cheers CW.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Hi Lauren any idea what happened about the traders,or was it before your time,i know a lot of the older members dont rate it as highly as before there was some rumour of politics and that a new woman had taken over and didnt wont the traders.this was a long time ago but i think traders are still thin on the ground,any reason for this as far as you know.

Sorry I only ask you as you seem to be putting yourself forward as spokes person.Cheers CW.

I've only been around at Duxford for a couple of years now, but I'm not aware of anything like you describe. Traders are more than welcome (as can be seen from the air shows), and if there are any reading this who would like information on the vehicle show please get in touch!

We are continually looking for new things that will improve the show however. One of those was a trial run of moving to Fathers day. This seems to have changed the show as the timing is more convenient for some, and less convenient for others. Was this the time that you noticed a difference?

Any show feedback is welcome though, and we are continually looking to improve the show and make it the best we can. Part of this is trying to make the event more attractive for traders. This years show has some new features that should make it the best yet, and we've already started planning for next year, so watch this space :).

Do I have to book in for a day visit in an MV?

I remember when there was loads of trade stalls there, it was the first place I ever saw an MP40!

You can turn up with your MV on the day, and use the "late entry" entrance. It's £5 on the day (the cut-off deadline for free entry has passed), but that still gets you entry to the museum and show.

If you want to camp overnight on Friday let me know. I think we still have some spaces available.