GMC split axles

Degsy

According to TM9-801 demountable brake drums are fitted to all Timken split axles, however the front drums fitted to mine have no capscrews and appear to be in one piece with the hub. Has anybody come accross this type before, are they a later type?

Interesting, I thought that all front drums at least were demountable!! I know that there are 2 types for the rear splits one is demountable and the other type is not. I know this because the two rear axles on my truck are one of each type !!!!!!!!!! but my front ones are demountable as in the manual tm9-801 page 348 fig 177 top left pic for front split axle, there are 6 hex bolts round the drum outside the wheel studs and once these are out the drum will pull off over the hub..

If you look at Pg374 there are 2 types for the Banjo and on Pg376 there is the one type for splits ?? are you sure you have split axle front hubs ???

hope this helps.

Heard from Steve aka Dr Deuce on CCKW forum and he says that the non-demountable ones are an early type. Sods law of course dictates that I have to have them when all I need to do is change one wheel stud:argh:

The TM in this case is wrong and this is not the first time I have come accross errors:shocked:

:argh: damn TM manuals......

Well it does give you a chance to inspect the wheel bearings......:cool2:

Merry ( you know what ) :)

Yes, I needed that like a hole in the head especially as the axle has done very little since it was obtained as a Norwegian rebuild. I am going to do it tomorrow but it will be a bit awkward as space is at a premium in the shed and I'm getting far too ancient for these jobs:-D

Best wishes to you Rosie and the cubelets, make the most of Christmas while they are young, it is a magical time for them.:yay:

Yes, I needed that like a hole in the head especially as the axle has done very little since it was obtained as a Norwegian rebuild. I am going to do it tomorrow but it will be a bit awkward as space is at a premium in the shed and I'm getting far too ancient for these jobs:-D

Best wishes to you Rosie and the cubelets, make the most of Christmas while they are young, it is a magical time for them.:yay:

Yep will do, they just about still believe, but "Wee" know what they are getting for Christmas and we cant wait for them to open the presie's so we oops (they can play with it).

Best wishes to one and all..

Did the job OK, only two minor problems. The inner hub nut was very tight all the way off so used that as the outer when rebuilding and the tab washer is very thick and because of its position inside the hub is extremely difficult to bend into position.

This all sounds interesting, if a little daunting, to me..Please let us know how things went, Deggsy.

Richard - did you let the Cubelets near their pressies?

Don't talk to me about that damn thing...........................

Kids played it first for a while, then started fighting with each other because one wanted to go one way on the screen and the other the other way..........

So we stopped them playing, trying to get them to calm down after all the chocolate and sweets ect. After they went to bed we had a go but doing it after some drink it is not a good idea. Nearly had to replace the centre light, very close call there, most of the ornaments and pictures are ok, the hand held controllers are hard though, even with the rubbery thing round them, nothing that time wont cure though, good fun probably more fun when you have had a bit to drink but do it in someone elses house, things can easily get way out of hand...............................

Did the job OK, only two minor problems. The inner hub nut was very tight all the way off so used that as the outer when rebuilding and the tab washer is very thick and because of its position inside the hub is extremely difficult to bend into position.

Glad it all went well those lock tabs are a tight fit, can be a real job to get a bend started but after that it's not too bad..