EspressoDude's Projects

Espressodude

OKAY, I been severely whipped and confined to the gulag....well not really, but at the request of other members, future comments about Fire Appliances / Flame Effect Appliances will be here.

Here is a link to a video, as requested. It is from 2007 and FOGBANK is a fixed piece of ordnance (presently has a trailer). Daytime firing.

FOGBANK = Fuel Oxygen Gas Binary Acoustic Nimbo Kinetic transducer

Propane and Oxygen + spark plug ignition.

Video hosting site is a Burningman Arts Festival member camp and exploration there may cause loss of reality....

http://www.apokiliptika.com/iBM2007.mov

file is about 8 meg and is slow to load. Format is Apple Quicktime Movie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Cheers for that allways interested in the daft things other people get up to.And the best bit,the suns shining.:cool2:CW.

OK, two subjects:

1.) Artillery simulators/kits/conversions see

http://www.intlrepo-depo.com/simulators.htm

they also have a lot of other goodies, but exporting may be a problem, or at least the importing of them.. I can give you the p/n for the valves they use (KIP brand, not UL listed) or the second set I used that is UL and FM listed

2.) Latest on Scammell Explorer project. It is mobile, but needs some shimming in the diffs. This was expected after some run in. also not all the idlers are in the walking beams, only the rear tires actually drive; in addition to the front. R/C steering and throttle needed yet.

MODEL0020.JPG

cab is ABS plastic

MODEL0021.JPG

MODEL0022.JPG

That is starting to look one fine machine, dude.

Whilst the general rule is that a r/c model will do stuff the full size version couldn't hope to achieve -

perhaps you should begin to prepare yourself for the realisation that this rule does not apply to either Explorers or Explorer drivers.

I can see some interesting HMVFTV challenges pitching model against full size machine looming......:coffee:

Impressively quick progress there Dude, just a hint on the springing, the springs should be nearly solid as the pivoting front axle gives no resistance to roll, the Explorer is in effect a three wheeler.

The most impressive unstoppable off road performance is at low speeds, :cool: first gear is 88.03 to 1, second is 54.7 to 1

I've always thought that building a RC model Explorer would be fun but I lack the patience and my spanners are too big :-D

The quick progress is related to George Bushes economic program. I have been "on waivers" for about 8 months. I used to build industrial machinery particularly robotic work cells and other custom devices that make parts of other machines....most of my work was logic programming and prototyping, so I figure this is just keeping my skills current. No manufacturer in the U.S. is investing in new machinery now..........

Regarding the springing. I watched some of the videos online and realized the Scammells appear very top heavy. I now realise that only the rear springs offer roll resistance. With no roll resistance offered up front they must over-steer like crazy on the highway. No wonder 35 mph is fast enough!! The model will get more spring leafs in back when the hardware store gets more stock, and the front will become sprung.

Regarding spanners; I have them up to about 2" and 3/4" drive socket set. Also 24" adjustable hammer. These work as a model building vise. The biggest problem so far was finding a 2mm tap locally, and then paying for it!! Good golly $15.00, and of course at that size ya better have a spare.

Cab is primered now. Today will be the shopping for polycarbonate for windows, and more ABS for the hood(bonnet) and side flaps.

The R/C hubs do not have a mounting area for fenders so the front tires will be bare for a while until I fabricate some brass hubs.

thanks for the support!

With no roll resistance offered up front they must over-steer like crazy on the highway. No wonder 35 mph is fast enough!!

over steer in a scammell ?

wev got on exepert on the subject round here afer there victory dance at the truck trail . w&p2008

havent we gritineye :cool2:

keep up the gd work dude

and where do we sighn up for the testing and evauation team for when its finished :-D ?

With no roll resistance offered up front they must over-steer like crazy on the highway. No wonder 35 mph is fast enough!!

What happens when cornering sharply at high speed on any road that is not perfectly smooth is that the front tires start to slip which starts the front axle bouncing, with no damping this quickly builds up until each wheel is airborne alternatively, swinging on the pivot pin.

This makes the air assisted steering rapidly try to compensate and a fearful tankslapper can occur, nothing can be done as the four rear wheels keep going straight on, each time the wheels leave the road the front steps out a foot or so. I kid you not :shake:

This should only happen to a Scammell driver once, however I had it happen a while ago when I drove onto a large empty roundabout at 30 mph without noticing a change of camber at the entry which made the front go light, I needed both lanes!! :sweat:

The answer to this is to corner in a manner suited to an old Scammell, that is SLOWER and all will be OK, the speed limit in UK at the time they were made was 20 mph.

I don't know if the Pioneers with lighter front axles or longer Scammells do this, someone out there will be able to tell us I'm sure.

By the way, liked the bird scarer :-D

Having owned a couple of Corvairs, I know about vehicles that tend to swap which end is in front. Also my 1941 Dodge WC-12 had quite a bit of roll induced steer that caused the front wheels to turn sharper as the body rolled. It was on the two right wheels (left ones not on the ground) at one time driving it around a decreasing radius left turn....

Took time out today to take a few snaps of work in progress on the Scammell Explorer.

Still waiting on 2 spur gears for the rear end, but it has progressed to 5 wheel drive.

Got the front bumper and brackets on temporarily. May bore some larger holes in the ends to mount LED's. I have some extremely bright ones for headlights.

Yesterday I modified an R/C servo to continuous rotation by cutting the stop out and mechanically disconnecting the position feedback potentiometer. This will run one of the winches via a worm gear / drum that I am now working on.

MODEL0029.JPG

MODEL0030.JPG

:)note the teapot on top of the radiator:) Top tank isn't "correct" but that's the way it ended up.

OK, next set of questions:

1.) What does the bed frame look like. I have a general idea of the rear section, but how about the the section that goes over the winch, and the front crossmember.

2.) I see on the left side a flip down gate/step. Got that figured. What about the other boxes. I see what appear to be hinges and latches, but can't determine what panels or parts of panels swing open.

3.) I bought some sticks of 1/8 x 3/8 inch spruce (1.25 x 3.75" scale) for the side boards, etc, along with some 1/8" 5-ply

The main winch is servo controlled and holds over 20 feet (200ft scale)of braided fishing line. It is almost unstoppable, but slow. I may modify to add free spool and change to relay control because finding the servo neutral is, well, the Queen's Puppy.

Yesterday was spent making the front grill, along with a trip to the boonies to TNW Firearms.....another project...1919A4 mg. Pics of the grill to follow.

Thanks a bunch Andy!! That will help fabricate things close to correct...As usual there may be some "adjustments". And where the heck am I gonna find a box of spare 1/10 scale flashlight bulbs. I will print out the pics and peruse them over the cold weekend we have forecast. Wet and windy today 35 - 40f, then temps dropping to the teens... The larder is stocked, gas lanterns and stove fueled up, flashlights charged.

next couple questions:

How wide/deep are the wood storage boxes on the bed? Do they extend inward from the lip of the bed to the outer edge of the boom uprights/frame rails? ( same distance that the bed is wider than the frame?)

How are the 2 lids of the left(passenger) boxes attached/located? Are they hinged on the inside so the contents are accessible from outside the bed, or hinged outboard so that they are accessable from the center of the bed?

I am currently making these parts out of some 1/8" x 1/2" red oak boards that I made. I skipped the tongue & groove detail.

We had some snow over the weekend but it was dry and very windy. It blew away before I had a chance to do some off roading.....more snow forecast though. This morning was 17f

This may be Daisy when shes finished mate as I may need to drive through the woods at the back of my house now the council have put gates at the end of the alleyway ! You know what they are like for correspondence ! Luckily one ends gates are 3.5metres so should be ok if the angles ok ! :-D