The Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace, Le Bourget, Paris

Jessie The Jeep

As I recently mentioned in another thread, Lynne, myself and a couple of friends just spent a long weekend in Paris. The reason for the trip was a visit to the 'Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace' at Le Bourget, for a photo-recon of the museum's Martin B-26 Marauder. Phil needed some detailed photos to help with the final finishing of his 1/6 scale flying model ( see attached ).

The museum has a huge collection of aircraft ranging from replicas from the earliest days of flight, through WW1, including original unrestored examples, between the wars, WW2, post war, experimental and space flight. Here's just a few of the pictures I took. Not up to my usual quality as we only had Lynne's compact digi cam, not my usual SLR.

After the Marauder model, the first few pictures are from the WW1 hall. They are the Dh9, Fokker DVII, Nieuport XI, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, and Voisin L.A.S.

b26_model1.jpg

b26_model2.jpg

dh9.jpg

fokker_dvii.jpg

nieuport_xi.jpg

sopwith_strutter.jpg

voisin_las.jpg

Next up is the World War 2 hall. Three of the B-26G Marauder and Bucker Bestmann. There was a C-47 painted in the same markings as our team C-47. The artwork differs slightly between the two as each artist made his copy from a photo of the original wartime artwork. The Fw190A was a rare type, but unfortunately pushed into a corner making viewing and photography difficult. It would have been better to display the aircraft side on or a rear three quarter view to show more of the plane. The P-47 was also in a corner, but with a slightly better orientation. Last in this section is the Yak 3. There were other aircraft in this hall, I just didn't photograph everything.

b26a.jpg

b26b.jpg

b26c.jpg

bestmann.jpg

c47a.jpg

c47b.jpg

fw190a.jpg

p47.jpg

yak3.jpg

There were some really strange creations in the experimental hall including the Leduc 010, Leduc 022 and Trident. In addition to the Space hall which contained numerous satellites, outdoors there were also two Ariane rockets, the Ariane I & V. In the between the wars hall, one of the examples was a Cierva C8 autogyro.

In a hall on their own, were two Concordes, the first prototype 001, and one of the Air France aircraft. In one of the other halls was an odd, but strangely attractive home built twin engined light aircraft, the Hirsch H100. The last aircraft is a rather potent looking racer, the Potez 53.

Steve

leduc_010.jpg

leduc_022.jpg

trident1.jpg

ariane1.jpg

ariane5.jpg

cierva_c8.jpg

concordes.jpg

hirsch_h100a.jpg

hirsch_h100b.jpg

potez_53.jpg

• 4 years later...

I visited this museum at Le Bourget, Paris, last weekend, and think it is very worthwile. Entrance to the basic collection is free, if you want to enter the Concorde, Dakota and Boeing 747 you will have to pay extra.

Especially the early years of flight is represented by very interesting displays and artefacts. Also the space (France is the third largest aerospace country!) and the prototype section is well worth the visit.

SPoelstra1150584.jpg

SPoelstra1150577.jpg

SPoelstra1150578.jpg

The rotary wing section is crammed with weird and wonderful craft.

SPoelstra1150590.jpg

Personally, I found the WW2 section a bit disappointing. It is a little less more than some aircraft tucked away in a big tent. Currently on display are FW190, Spitfire, Mustang, Thunderbolt, Casa 111 (which was flown into Le Bourget in 1975 after 30 years in service with the Spanish Air Force) and Dewoitine D.520.

SPoelstra1150611.jpg

SPoelstra1150609.jpg