Military Vehicle....you decide!

Adam Elsdon

LDV minibus worthy of the MV collector?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. LDV minibus worthy of the MV collector?

• MV White van man.....please dont make me laugh!
    • MV White van man..what a laugh, fill it with re-enactors!

Whatever's said, they are still MVs but a minority interest so won't swamp shows or put Richard out of work! Green stuff will always be of more interest but as long as commercial vehicle enthusiasts keep some examples or someone makes a photographic record. As said, 50s - 70s CL vehicles are rarely seen. Anyone seen a preserved runway sweeper at a show?

Had an intersting example turn up at our yard in Newington a couple of years ago, sold a 101 radio table to a German military Land Rover enthusiast on a buying spree. He turned up in a LHD Sherpa ex BAOR refuse wagon stuffed to the gills with with Land Rover spares, we had trouble getting it in and we off loaded stuff more on him as well. The very vocal reversng alarm on it was bilingual! A genuine ex military vehicle of no interest to anyone, I never even thought to photograph it.

Anyone seen a runway sweeper at a show? Yep. There is or was a Bedford OY runway sweeper on the show circiut and was up for sale on MilWeb last year/early this year. There was a Snow Blower early 60's era up for sale on Milweb and MVT Greensheet. There isn't a lot of stuff with military connections that hasn't been preserved including a dustbin sorry garbage truck built on an International 5 ton truck chassis and was ex USAF that I stumbled across in a haulage companies yard in Oxfordshire. That was about 10 years ago and was been restored (slowly).

Phil

There isn't a lot of stuff with military connections that hasn't been preserved including a dustbin sorry garbage truck built on an International 5 ton truck chassis and was ex USAF

Hi Phil,

I know a chap down this way who restored and rallies an ex-RAF Karrier Bantam dustcart, the type with the slide up sides. It is all interesting.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hi Phil,

I know a chap down this way who restored and rallies an ex-RAF Karrier Bantam dustcart, the type with the slide up sides. It is all interesting.

Not long thrown out the workshop manuals for those.

:( thats a pity because he is restoring another Bantam

I cant actually see my self doing it,i do know i got them ready i didnt think they would ever be needed,will double check.

....... really about your definition of military vehicle, or even Historic Military Vehicle for that matter:

a) any vehicle that was acquired and used by the armed forces;

b) any vehicle which was purposely built for acquisition and use by the armed forces.

The first category contains the likes of the vehicle in question here: ones that were designed and built for the commercial/civilian market, but can fullfill a certain military role with a few additions (paint, lighting, fire extinguisher, first aid kit etc).

The second category speaks for itself I think.

I think it is all about one´s personal interest if any type of vehicle is worth being kept.

H.

doesn't the first category also cover things like Landrovers or even Antars?

I cant actually see my self doing it,i do know i got them ready i didnt think they would ever be needed,will double check.

Sorry gone,but not forgoten,had them 35 yrs nobody wanted them,shame there was gamecock and others,i dont think he will have trouble finding more.Our dustman probably raked them out and took them to the book shop .

You see, i am quite surprised at the way the poll is going, the MV scene has everything from Bicycles to Main Battle Tanks, bridging pontoons to motor torpedo boats which i think is the best thing about this interest, it is so diverse.

Otherwise we are in danger of only cherry picking what, at a certain moment, is perceived to be interesting!

doesn't the first category also cover things like Landrovers or even Antars?
Well yes, the Land Rover was developed as a commercial 4x4 vehicle. The military adopted and adapted it when their purpose-designed Champ turned out to be too expensive and cumbersome.

Hanno