Ferret turret dimensions and weight

MiketheBike

Question

Does anyone know the domensions and weight of a Ferret 2/3 turret?

My guestimate is about 43" length and width, would that be correct including the turret ring/mounting plate?

What is the overall height of the turret?

Also, looking at the net weight for the mk1 and mk2/3, the difference appears to be about 200kg, is that about the weight of the turret?

Never lifted that sort of weight before...could it be manhandled by 2 or 3 people?

Cheers

Mick

3 answers to this question

Mick,

The turret weighs about ½ a ton I wouldn’t recommend lifting with two or three bods as the turret weighs more towards the front where the gun barrel would stick out. Use an engine lifter to move it about and if you happen to get on with a local farmer or builder ask them to put the turret on for you.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I went to collect a turret from Dave (Mad Cow) yesterday, and luckily he has plenty of toys which included a crane to lift the turret off.

Turned into a bit of an edventure doing a 300mile round trip in the landy, with the M40 shut, but we got back in the end.

If you ever have a chance to deal with Dave, he is a great bloke and we had a very pleasant afternoon drooling over his kit.

Cheers Dave

Mick

Remember that if you want to remove the turret from a Mark 2, just turn it 13 times anticlockwise and it will fall off.

Well that's what they taught me on my first day in 15th/19th Hussars.

Bit skeptical me though like. Still didn't try it just in case though lol.

;o)