Dodge Weapons Carrier Welding

R Cubed

Please help, need some pics of the front cab mountings in the floor of a dodge as the one I am welding up on this Sunday are both missing :shake: Joys of being blasted all the rust goes and the mounting positions.

Need pics from in the cab looking down to where your feet would be and the edges where the floor meets the sides of the cab, also if poss some of the same places but from underneath the cab.

Thanks in advance so I can get on and do it on Sunday

Thanks for the post, only got as far as doing one side piece, the bit tacked to the top of the main base which runs up beside the seat box on each side, do really need some close pics of the front cab mountings by the main up rights to the windscreen, need to know which panels go under which bits and how it all goes together, so if anyone can post some pics it would be of great help.

Also what are the sizes of the timber fitted between the cab mounting points and the chassis.

I've attached a couple of pics hoping to give you some help in your project. Neither photo is very clear, but may provide another piece of the puzzle.

The wood spacer is my own concoction - it replaced a rock solid piece of rubber which had obviously been inserted by a post service owner. The pic is taken from the wheel looking rearwards. The wood block is 20mm thick and has insertion rubber top and bottom to provide some insulation, with a total thickness of something in the region of 30mm. I think that measurement is about right as you need the cab to clear the accelerator linkage between rear of motor and cab firewall - what I've done gives adequate clearance for the rod linkage.

I can also see that the floor of the cab, has been welded at some time, so that might give a false lead ?

Jack

2976607032_fc4b401c06.jpg

2976607026_26b4f504f8.jpg

Please help, need some pics of the front cab mountings in the floor of a dodge as the one I am welding up on this Sunday are both missing :shake: Joys of being blasted all the rust goes and the mounting positions.

Need pics from in the cab looking down to where your feet would be and the edges where the floor meets the sides of the cab, also if poss some of the same places but from underneath the cab.

Thanks in advance so I can get on and do it on Sunday

If your stuck Richard you can have a look at my father in laws one! you know where we are :-)

Baz

Bodger Baz.

If you have a look on the WWII Dodge Forum and go into search there was a piece posted with the exact dimensions of the cab mounting blocks about 18 months ago. I made mine out of Acetal Delrin. It's as good as hardwood, if not better, gives some insulation and doesn't rot. I seem to remember it is 40mm thick. When I came to take mine out during the rebuild I discovered they were made from old floor joists complete with sawn off rusty screws! The acetal was used because we use it by the mile at work and it came out of the skip. We use it for mounting blocks and wear runners. DON'T use nylon if you are offered it because it absorbs 10% of it's own weight of water when wet and swells. That is a fact. We stopped using it because we had nylon bearings swell and seize up so ICI recommended acetal. Sorry if I upset the purists but I am sure Chrysler would have used it. Hardwood was probably easier to obtain when it was built.

Phil

I've attached a couple of pics hoping to give you some help in your project. Neither photo is very clear, but may provide another piece of the puzzle.

The wood spacer is my own concoction - it replaced a rock solid piece of rubber which had obviously been inserted by a post service owner. The pic is taken from the wheel looking rearwards. The wood block is 20mm thick and has insertion rubber top and bottom to provide some insulation, with a total thickness of something in the region of 30mm. I think that measurement is about right as you need the cab to clear the accelerator linkage between rear of motor and cab firewall - what I've done gives adequate clearance for the rod linkage.

I can also see that the floor of the cab, has been welded at some time, so that might give a false lead ?

Jack

Thanks for the post.

In the right hand pic it shows the diamond floor plate going almost right up to the bolt on angle support bracket, is this correct as I think my one is about 3 inches further in than your pic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - can't vouch for any of the floor's authenticity. It looks to me as though someone has previously been playing around in this area, but it could be original - I've nothing to compare it to.

AFAIK the removable floor is original, but again it's foolish to be positive on such things after 60 years of POs.

Jack