Review:- The Freckleton Tragedy 1944

Willyslancs

This book tells the story of the tragedy that happened on the 23rd of August 1944 ,when a B-24 liberator bomber crashed into the village of Freckleton near Blackpool.

Many children in the local school were killed, also villagers and americans.

This book tells in great details what happened, and about the hospital that was near the air base too.

The only down side about this book is that the pictures are not at all good.(very grainy or blurred).:coffee:

freckleton 006.jpg

Had the great pleasure a few years ago of visiting one of the last 'official' reunions of the USAAF Burtonwood veterans & drove a handfull up n down the road in the truck whilst Granada TV interviewed them in the back... But whilst at the reunion i was introduced to a very nice little old lady who was a pupil at the school and one of the very few survivors of the tradgey... not much more than a toddler at the time, apparently she was on her way back from the bathroom when the crash occured and although badly burned, was protected by a retaining wall which managed to withstand the impact. It was a pleasure to meet her and a privelidge to hear her story first hand.

i worked with a lady who lost her brother in it , i know what you mean mate .I worked for 2 years on the site of area 9 which was on the airbase during ww2,the atmosphere in the early mornings there when i used to open up was eerie to say the least.

Edited by Willyslancs

Yes it was called the Sad Sack cafe,there were not many us airmen in that morning tho because the weather was bad.The americans paid for the funerals and the memorial.

At least 7 civilians,36 school children,2 teachers,4 sergeants from the RAF,7 civillians in cafe,10 american service men including pilot and crew(B-24 Liberator known as Classy Chassis) .Bing Crosby came to see the injured in the B.A.D hospital, and was said to be very upset seeing the survivors injuries, epecially the childrens.

Edited by Willyslancs