US Army Search Lights

HWade

I have recently taken on the restoration of two US search lights, They have been converted to 240 volt, 1500 halide bulbs.The units appear to be in quite good order, Iam not to sure when they date from but I am looking in to this I would say that they are post war.They are mounted on a US built trailer chassis, and they have hydraulic over run brakes. The brakes are in a bad way as there are parts missing linkage ect.The lights have a difuser lens as well as a clear lens for searching with.They have hydraulic brakes for the up and down movment of the light as well as the side to side.I have included a few pics will keep you updated as the restoration goes.

Regards

Howard

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello I had a bit of time this afternoon and took the brake master cylinder apart it was siezed up but after stripping apart cleaning and putting it back togeather its now working,some of the brake pipe is rusted through so I will have to replace it but I shall do this with copper pipe. I now have the base of the search light ready for grit blasting so I shall take a few pics of this and post once I have done this.I am away at a show this weekend so the grit blasting will take place one eavening next week.

Regards

Howard

Hello Bodge

That will be nice to see the other pics if you have them, I managed to strip the drums off the axle only to find that there were no brake shoes or springs inside the drum.I took off the the brake cylinder and got that all taken apart and cleaned up and put back togeather.I will have to see if I can get hold of some shoes and springs.The stud pattern looks like a sankey but I will have to double check who knows there brake shoes may fit. I forgot to take the camerra so will get some pics next time.Well thats it for now.

Regards

Howard

What's that? Carpet in the Workshop? That is going a step too far Howard - to show off your really nice workshop is bad enough punishment for most of us, to show the carpet is "rubbing it in a bit" :-D

Or perhaps the workshop is in fact an extension of your lounge? :cool2:

Goes away to draw up lounge extension to run by Mrs. N.O.S.

Well had a good day today all of the top coat of paint is on the search light, the new road lights were waiting at home for me so I will fit them tomorrow, that will be one light complete with one more to do.I managed to get my living van in the workshop to strip off the awning flaps to remove all rust and replace the two steel strips that run the length of the trailer.

Regards

Howard

025.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello N.O.S

you would want a good generator as well, Wayne said that you have started work on the Tanker,how much work does it need then, or is it mainly a cosmetic job.There is two WLF's for sale on milweb, there in France.

Howard

Well, all it really needs is a set of rims and tyres, replacement of all pump compartment tinwork and hose tubes down the side (including all brackets), all tank straps and mounts, 3 out of 5 tank support cradles, top catwalk and handles, replating of tank at support areas, ideally new delivery hoses, all support steelwork and brackets for engine, pumps and reels, all brake pipewwork and tanks, all light fittings and wiring (all in steel/copper pipework).

The running gear is not too bad -springs, brake adjusters and tie rods look o.k.-ish, trunion bearings? Mind you, if I'm really lucky there will be a set of brake shoes in the hubs :whistle:.

Reaches for more medication.....

Well "search light one" is just about done all electrics done inside the light, going for the big turn on tonight, Will see if i can get some pics of the light in action, Only thing left to do is wire up plug for towing lights.

Regards

Howard