Tank found in Skip Yard.

6 X 6

Sorry, not that sort of tank but I think it may well have military/aviation connections and I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what it's original purpose was.

This tank was given to me by some friends of mine who own a skip hire business and it came in on one of their lorries. Stuff like this they put on one side for me.

Including the cast cap, this tank is made entirely from aluminum and all joins are riveted, not welded and is about the size of a large suitcase. It looks pre 1950 and would have been expensive to make. At each end is a carrying handle and at one end is a brass tap. The screw-on filler cap is quite large, 5" dia. There is a Maker's name plate on the tap end.

The interior of the tank has a neutral small and I think it may have been the crew's drinking water supply on some sort of craft. I picture it being filled with fresh water and then delivered, lifted aboard and placed in special stowage compartment.

Wise owls of the Forum, what do you think it was used for ? Cheers.

X

DSCF0301.jpg

X

DSCF0302.jpg

X

DSCF0303.jpg

X

DSCF0309.jpg

X

DSCF0307.jpg

X

DSCF0308.jpg

X

DSCF0311.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

I'd be surprised if it was used for water. Aluminium tanks tend to leave water with a nasty taste after a short while.

Wouldn't be allowed now certainly as aluminium disolved in water is linked to alzheimers.

Parkinson and Cowan the makers have long been associated with the manufacture of gas cookers. Like many companies they may have been forced to diversify during the war but I wonder if there is some link still to the catering side of things.

I'd be surprised if it was used for water. Aluminium tanks tend to leave water with a nasty taste after a short while.

Wouldn't be allowed now certainly as aluminium disolved in water is linked to alzheimers.

I only use stainless and understand very well what you're saying. Maybe not for drinking water then. IF this was a wartime artifact why use scarce aluminum and why the carrying handles and oversize filler hole ?

Thank you for explaining about Parkinson and Cowan.